Flopping Steering Wheel

/ Flopping Steering Wheel #1  

kozak

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D c/w FEL, ACCO Allis 1614
Steering wheel on my NH TC35D is doing the flop-a-rama. Either the tilt lever seems to have disengaged somehow or a pin of some sort within the steering column (just guessing) has sheared off. Steering wheel just flops down onto the tractor seat. No problem with turning the wheels. Has anybody experienced something similar & if so, whats the problem ??

/ Flopping Steering Wheel #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Steering wheel just flops down onto the tractor seat. No problem with turning the wheels. Has anybody experienced something similar & if so, whats the problem ?? )</font>

Kozak, did you mean to post this to the NH Owning/Operating forum? This problem has been cussed and discussed many times. On the older tractors, water gets down into the air-shock and freezes. That causes the gas to leak out and the shock has to be replaced. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif On my TC45D, I didn't have that problem, but the pin that releases the steering lock got gummed up and stuck. I was able to unstick and lube it so that my steering is working perfectly. On the new DA model tractors NH has added a plastic cover to the shock to keep water out. Too bad it's not on earlier models. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If your tractor is in warranty, it's time to get this fixed. If it's out of warranty, get ready to spend some $$$. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Flopping Steering Wheel #3  
The steering wheel on our TC-40D got to a point just a month ago that it was a bear to tilt. Thought the gas cylinder had gone sour and we even talked to Spencer200 about obtaining warantee parts. We disassembled and cleaned up the pivot point and lubed all the friction points. In our case the mechanism was just full of crud and it works now like it did when it was new without the need for replacing any parts.

Time to get in there and find out whats really causing your problem.

/ Flopping Steering Wheel
PineRidge & jinman,

Thanks for replying. Yeah...I thought I might have posted this on the wrong forum. I actually got the hydraulic cylinder replaced when buying the tractor as the tilt lever would not keep the steering wheel locked in position......wheel would just float back up to its highest postion. Ended up being a $225 fix that was covered by the Dealership.

Just to give you some more details. I was doing some loader work I think around late Oct. / early Nov. time frame when it happened. Now I do believe we may have had some freezing temperatures prior to doing the work but the tractor was in the barn. When I was just finishing up with the loader, all of a sudden the wheel just flopped down. Temperture when doing the work was above freezing. jinman, I'm not saying your wrong (just hoping so) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif just seems like maybe (hopefully) its similar to the problem you had with your pin getting gummed up. If not, how are you supposed to keep water out of the air shock. I always keep the tractor sheltered. The only time it may see water in that area is when I wash the tractor. If it is the problem (water) this is a major design flaw & NH should foot the repair bill everytime. I did'nt even go a year & the shock is screwed up again !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I guess time will tell. Is it easy enough to remove the front black panels beneath the steering wheel ?? As PineRidge says....time to take a look.

Sorry about the long winded reply. I'll keep you guys posted as to what the problem ended up being. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

jinman,

Did a search & found an excellent thread by cdcole on his trial & tribulations for the same thing I was going through. (Search for tilt steering) I was going to see if I could fumble along & at least check out the steering column.... so off I went to the pole barn tools in hand. Looked like there were only two front bolts holding the black panels together & I was hoping they just used pins to snap the back section of the panels in place. Should be a piece of cake I thought.....yeah right. Found that there were bolts on the inside as well which of itself should not have presented a problem. However, the internal bolts on the driver side are inaccessible because of the muffler. You would need at least a 6" extension for the wrench which I did'nt have. So I abandoned the idea. I needed some other work done (oil leak) so just let it ride until I got the tractor to the mechanic. During my search I did come across a post (I believe by a mecahnic) that indicated if the steering wheel was looose both up & down , cylinder shock was toast. So I was resigned to the fact that I would probably have to fork out a moderate amount of $$$$ just for the part alone.

Now for the good news. It just ended up being the pin after-all. Mechanic said the pin had become disengaged. He did not know why they used that sort of pin as it was just a tight fit. Nothing else to hold it in place. So he replaced it with a pin that had a round head on it & put some type of clip on it to hold it in place. (Yeah BABY !! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif)

Just to be on the safe side, don't think I will spray water on the dash next time I am washing her down.

Wonder if I could get Muhammad to change this thread to NH Owning & Operating forum.

/ Flopping Steering Wheel #6  
Kozak glad the fix was on the inexpensive side for you. Better get out there to Harbor Freight and get a few extensions to get those panels off yourself next time. You know there will be a next time for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TC-40D SS web pictures click here

/ Flopping Steering Wheel #7  
Glad to hear that your problem was simple. Mike has given you some good advice. You need some extensions for your socket set. I've had my panels off at least four times to get to the relays, the steering column, the throttle linkage, and once to remove my operator's platform (not a pretty story /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif). Anyhow, once you do it a couple of times it gets easier to do. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you are in there, don't get tempted to rinse off all the dirt. Use compressed air or a brush. A little water in your relay assembly may make some very strange things happen. Don't ask me how I know. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

What I did on my tractor when I fixed the steering column was to cut a piece of poly off an old toolbox lid and put it in there so rain, condensation, and showers from the owner washing his tractor will be deflected. It's kind of a square umbrella.

Spencer200 gave me the part number for New Holland's new cover, so I'll find that and post it here or send you a PM.

I just got my quick-attach plate, rock bucket, and new QT bucket today. Guess what I've been doing? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I'll post some photos a little later when I get more time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Flopping Steering Wheel #8  
<font color="blue"> I just got my quick-attach plate, rock bucket, and new QT bucket today. Guess what I've been doing? I'll post some photos a little later when I get more time.

</font>

Jim's in rock bucket heaven! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Flopping Steering Wheel #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Jim's in rock bucket heaven! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )</font>

Yes, I am. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif WAHOO! That darn thing works so nice. I can actually look down and see exactly where I'm putting the tines. The only way it could be any easier is if someone else was doing it for me. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Vic, the number for the tilt steering cylinder cover is 86401203. Spencer200 said it was on all new DA model tractors, but could be ordered by itself. It might be a good (and cheap) investment in your steering wheel's long-term health.

Thanks jinman For the info. I'll make good use of it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

M-O-V-E them Rocks.....YEAH !!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Special thanks also go to Spencer200. One in a hundred. Wonder if I could build a trust relationship like that ???