Rotary Cutter for TC30

/ Rotary Cutter for TC30 #1  

Rabbit

Tractor
New Holland TC30
Hello all! New here and have spend the last few days popping in and out reading what I could find in old threads. Lots of learning - thansk!

I bought a New Holland TC30 diesel with 3x3 transmission, FWD, and front end loader last September. I've been enjoying pushing down South Carolina scrub oaks and disking up the cleared acrea of pasture. So far so good and the TC is barely broken in at this point. It never works hard at the light work to be done here. Even the scrub oaks give up easily as the sandy soil provides them with not much of a root base. The only complaint I might have is the slippage of the Industrial tires on the oak leaf/pine straw covered sandy soil. I'll get some more weight soon I promise.

Okay, here's the question and I hope I provide all the information needed for your replies. I've cleaned up quite a few of the small trees and brush on the 20 acres we own using the front end loader equiped with a tooth bar. Now I'd like to go in with a 60 inch rotary cutter to clean up the remnants of severed trees, saplings, etc. Most of these are in the 1 to 2 inch range but some may be slightly larger. I can always come back to the larger ones with the front end loader. The density has been greatly reduced already and I dare say there won't be greater than a few going under the cutter at any one time. The land is level.

The problem is I really want to get as much rotary cutter as the tractor can handle. I have looked at Woods, Rhino, and BushHog. All of the models I have looked at show a minimum 30 HP Tractor rating (as opposed to PTO HP).

The TC30 has a 3-point lift capacity of 1635 at 24" behind the tractor.

The BushHog Model 12 is ~ 850 lb and rated min. HP25 This rotary cutter is rated at 3"

The Woods BB600 is ~1030 lbs. and rated min HP 30 This rotary cutter is rated at 2"

The Rhino model is ~1300 Lbs and rated min 30 HP. This is an awsum rotary cutter and has a 4" rating.

All of the above are 60 in cutters.

The Woods dealer steered me clear of their heaviest cutter at 1250 lb. but recommended the 1030 lb BB600 as a good choice. The BushHog dealer says that even 1030 lbs may be too much even with a 1630 lb 3 point lift rating and recommeds the BushHog Model 12 or the other Medium Duty cutter both of which weigh about 850 lbs.

I need some guidance from New Holland owners as to what I can expect out of my TC30. So far I've never been disappointed in what it can do on my particular soil type and the applications I have tried.

Thanks for any input!

Larry

/ Rotary Cutter for TC30 #2  
You should be able to handle a 60" cutter with little problem. You may have to cut some passes with less then the full width of the cutter if the going gets thick or your tractor bogs down.

I use a Land Pride 60" light duty (does an excellent job too!) behind a 16 PTO HP Deere as well as a 24 PTO HP 790. Both tractors did great...the 790 just bogged down less and recovered quicker since it has more horse power.

The Land Pride cutter is showing some effects of the cutting...some dings and dents. But I didn't buy it to be a beauty queen.

The Land Pride cutter goes just under 600 lbs. The 670 and 790 have a 3PH capacity of 850 lbs ± 30 lbs.

I really would be surprised if the TC 30 can actually handle 1600 plus lbs without tearing that machine up fairly quickly.
But, it should be able to handle 700 to 900 lbs with no problem.
However, taking down trees or stumps of 3" to 4" in diameter is probably going to really tear the TC 30 up..it isn't design to be that robust.

There you go..one user's opinion...

/ Rotary Cutter for TC30 #3  
On brush you will probably be fine with a 6' cutter.. in thick grass.. I'd use a 5' cutter.. or 6' and take a less than full bite.

Your money.. but I think I might by a cheaper ( and lighter) rotary cutter.. like a howse.. or KK.. let it find all the rocks and old fence lines for you.

One other thing. Woody 1" is fine. Most of us are even cocky enough to mow 2" flexible stuff. 3" is getting excessive for the size equipment you have. The only 3" stuff I'd want to cut would be a bananna tree.... Will it cut 3" stuff? probably.. will it be abuse on the machine? probably.

Congrats on the 20ac!

Soundguy

/ Rotary Cutter for TC30 #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The 670 and 790 have a 3PH capacity of 850 lbs ± 30 lbs. I really would be surprised if the TC 30 can actually handle 1600 plus lbs without tearing that machine up fairly quickly )</font>

You might be surprised... My ex-Nh 1920 which is just a tad beefier than the tc30 was rated for something like 1800# on the 3pt. And let me tell you.. it did.. Never even strained on round bales on a 3pt spear.. though the front end got light.

I've always said the deer 3pt on the smalle rmodels was under rated.. in that.. I'm sure the tractor would handle more.. but they don't allow it... 850# is a tad week.. an old ford 8n can lift that much.. and a tad more.. though 800# also makes the front end light.

Soundguy

/ Rotary Cutter for TC30
Well I decided to go with the Woods model 600, 60" width, 2 inch cutting capacity, and 125 hp gearbox. She weighs 1035 lbs which had concerned me a little even though the 3 pnt on my TC30 is rated at 1635 lbs. at 24 inches behind the tractor.

On arrival I had to use the 7308 FEL to take the rotary cutter off of the trailer. The FEL didn't like the idea but she did it even if she couldn't lift her to full extension.

Because the FEL picked her up marginally I was increasingly concerned with possible problems with the 3 pnt.'s capacity holding that heavy deck way out there in the rear. NO WORRIES! I hooked the rotary cutter up to the 3 pnt. and lifted her with absolutely no problems whatsoever!

I drove around and parked her before the freezing rain set in but I'll have her leveled and out again in a day or so doing some real work on a shakedown cut. I'll post some pictures too.

Rabbit

/ Rotary Cutter for TC30
Okay, so after leveling the new Woods 600 I set out to the back 20 to do some work. Entering into the thick of scrub oaks with bucket and tooth bar down I pushed through with the Woods roaring behind me. As I went through the scrub oaks I was particular not to travel over anything larger than 2" diameter. Well, the Woods never slowed for anything and left a clean, clear path behind me. This is a great improvement over the bucket alone for opening up these sandhills.

Upon arrival back at the barn I raised the Woods and inspected underneath. I actually could not see where I have even used the thing! No doubt this piece of equipment is meant to take on alot more than I an feeding her.

The 3 pnt lift on the TC30 is quite adequate for this rotary cutter. I would advise anyone with a TC30 and considering a medium duty cutter to NOT worry about the extra 300 lbs associated with the upgrade. The TC30 can handle it.

Rabbit