Thinking about jumping ship ( Going to orange )

/ Thinking about jumping ship ( Going to orange ) #1  

joes_427_vette

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH Cub Lo Boy, 955 John Deere , TC 55 DA New Holland, Bolens HT 20 and 1456
Kubota sure does a nice job with their cabs. Heat, air, visibility, style..... and the nearby dealer seems to be customer oriented. When I get all the New Holland engineering defects repaired I am going to seriously take a look at their tractors. At the rate I'm going new problems out number the old. Thinking about a western snowplow spring for the hydro linkage. It will take two men and a boy to push it in but I bet it returns when you let off. In cold weather it is unacceptable. Glad I didn't sell the Allis.

/ Thinking about jumping ship ( Going to orange ) #2  
You're not the only one. I'm not really jumping ship just welcoming another color (orange) into the fold. A combination of poor dealer support and pricing, I'm looking at an M8200 to add to my TC40D. Now that I have 160 acres instead of 40, I need a bigger tractor but will probably keep the TC.

Are you going to trade the TC45 in? If so, what are you looking at in orange?

/ Thinking about jumping ship ( Going to orange ) #3  
Joe, Just curious what you are talking about. Clearly the New Holland cab and a/c system is superior to the Kubota's cab. And what are all these New Holland engineering defects? Just curious I've had 5 Ford/ New Hollands in a row and haven't seen many problems. The Kubota's I've run always seem to be loose and have their share of non working functions. Just my experiences.

Andy

/ Thinking about jumping ship ( Going to orange ) #4  
You can always do what I did, have one of each of the major three, however the JD is a full size TLB.

Each tractor has its place, each a different size, each dealer is different. Have not used the service of any of them. However the JD dealer jacks up his parts prices, the NH charges regular retail prices. Parts availability seems good at both of them. Have not had time to judge the Kubota dealer as parts yet as it was just delivered.

The cabs on the Kubota are great, only an hour on it, but I cannot say enough about the cab worklights, both front and back. It sure will be nice to operate the loader in the dark, including just driving down a trail, and seeing what is ahead of you without the bucket blocking the light.

Attachments

• 563752-both tractors.jpg
    563752-both tractors.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 299
   / Thinking about jumping ship ( Going to orange )
Andy; I haven't seen a factory cab for a compact New Holland. The dealer indicated there were several aftermarket choices available. Let me see now... where to begin. The battery acid was first, followed by the waterline from the block to the radiator that wouldn't let the engine reach operating temperature. Replace the thermostat that has the cable and lead weight attached that blocks the thermostat open. The constant battle with the sticking hydro pedal. Raising the front wheels off the ground to get it out of four wheel drive. The hydraulic problem with the loader bucket ( which we still have not found ) checked the rams and rebuilt the loader control. The tilt and telescope steering that froze in place ( $400. parts and 3 hours labor will reinstate this feature I am told ) When in two wheel drive on a slippery surface the front tire will slide. It is full of oil but must have a touch of arthritis. Even when the machine is warmed up in winter the hydro pedal fails to return to the neutral position. I will not let anyone else operate it for fear of something getting wrecked. Oh... did I mention the instrument cluster fogs up so you can guess at the functions being monitored. Best of all when you call customer service none of these problems ever existed. I did get a copy of the service bulletin regarding the repair and parts required to remedy the cold operating temperature from the dealer. I believe the only problem fixed under warranty was the hydro free wheeling when going down a hill. I did have the joy stick apart to view the construction. I am sure before long it too will end up in my hand with a quick jerk of the loader control. The tractor value book indicates it should bring between 14 to 15k with good paint and low hours, which this one has. I can trade it in but the dealer will not put alot of money in it. I would have to try to sell it outright. If the new ones keep going up I may get a fair price.

/ Thinking about jumping ship ( Going to orange ) #6  
Andy, when did New Holland start making cabs with AC and such for the TC45 and smaller tractors? I have not seen them but must admit, NH support around me is a little weak. Kubotas you ran seemed a little loose, interesting, I kind of think that way about our 1996 NH 2120 12X12, well that and it being the most expensive repair tractor we have had to date.

/ Thinking about jumping ship ( Going to orange ) #7  
On your sticking 4 wd. I"ve posted this before, but just in case you missed it, I don't even have a FEL so "lifting the front end" is not even an option. But anyway, I think that is way unnecessary. I've found, all you have to do is remove the load from the drivetrain, and it very easily comes out of 4wd. The way I do it is, while moving at something like 3-4 mph, or even less, simply let up on the hydro pedal while at the same time moving the 4wd lever to the 2wd position. Kind of like taking your foot off the accelerator of your car and coasting, but just for a split second. You must move the lever in the instant while the momentum of the tractor is pushing it to maintain speed and the trasmission, now reduced in speed, is trying to slow it down. During this brief moment, the 4wd almost seems to be "helped" out of position by the tranny. Occasionlly, if I haven't timed it quite right, I've had to do it a second time, but never more than that. Hope this helps with at least one of the multitude of problems. I too have seen most of what you have. By the way, keep the hydro pedal grease fitting well lubed. It seems to help the "sticking". In fact, as I write this, I'm wondering if a second fitting, opposite the one, might improve the situation any.

Djradz; I have read your post along with countless others. I was just outlining some of the problems associated with my compact to Andy who apparently bought all the GOOD ones. There certainly are more problems but this is a quick recall of the things I have noticed. Should one have to go through all these circumstances ( backing, going forward, lifting the front axle) to simply move it from 4 to 2wd? In my garage where the floor is smooth in 2 wd the rear tires spin ( winter, cold temps., cold surface ) and unless you engage the front axle it won't get out of its way. Any other 4x4 I have owned you simply move the lever for in or out. It has to be a flaw in the design or it would operate like any other equipment.
Can't you picture selling this thing.... giving the prospective owner a list of dos and donts, watch for this, and if it does that correct it with them. I just think it looks and has a better reputation than it deserves. 15-20 years from now do you think they will still be in use or will they be the next generation select - o - speed ? Those were real resale kings... and mechanics favorites.

Dumbdog; The inbound checks don't quite cover a sample from the big three..... However I do like the size of the building. One could test drive them in comfort on the coldest day. How big did you go ? or don't I want to know ? I hear the parts from Deere, Case, and Ford on full size backhoes is a little on the high side. I am amazed the number of backhoes with 6-8k hours on for sale. They certainly have paid for themselves in production. I bet the owners keep a close watch on the hour meter to make certain they are super accurate. I have tried out 1600 hour hoes that have more than their share of arthritis and loose joints.

/ Thinking about jumping ship ( Going to orange ) #10