Glow Plug light for TC35D

/ Glow Plug light for TC35D #1  

Joe_66

Tractor
2003 TC35D
I tried to start my tractor this morning and I noticed that my glow plug light was the only light that did not come on with the first turn of the key. At first I thought it might be the bulb so I tried to start it. The engine turned over a few times and acted as if the engine had no glow plug or heat. Finally after a few attempts the battery went dead. I finally got it started with a jump. Later I checked the light bulb and the #1 fuse and both are fine. If my battery is going bad, would this keep the glow plug light from even coming on? After I had the tractor running for two hours and I would shut it off, the tractor would start right up but the glow light would not come on. Any suggestions.
Thanks
Joe

/ Glow Plug light for TC35D #2  
MY guess is that if your battery had sufficient charge to start your tractor that most likely your problem is elsewhere.

If your fuse is good then I might suspect the glow plug timer itself.

If you would like NH procedures for testing the glow plug indicator light timer send me a PM with a valid email address. I'll shoot the info over to you.

To do these tests you will need to be comfortable working with electrical components and have some test equipment like an ohm-meter or continuity tester.

The actual troubleshooting process doesn't look intimidating to me.

Welcome to the TBN site Joe!

TC-40D SS web pictures click here

/ Glow Plug light for TC35D #3  
You made sure, that the fuse and hopefully the timer is good. Try testing the glow plugs on by one. Unplug all glow plugs and jumper one by one to a good charged battery. That one that draws no amps (measured with a DC current clamp) is your candidate (or no sparks). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Once a newer type of diesel engine is warm it will sense heat in the engine and therefore does not turn on the glow plugs. On my TDI the glow periode depends on temperature. I can make my TC55DA preglow any time just have to go to the glow position and the timer will turn on the plugs for 4 seconds every time and temperature does not matter. Hope that helps you some and good luck.

/ Glow Plug light for TC35D #4  
Oh, forgot to answer the other question:
With a bad battery or in real cold weater the system will still pre-glow. Just when you turn the key over the starter has not enough juice to turn the engine not fast enough over to start it and die. The famous click, click...
OR:
The batterie is so dead that nothing works at all.

Again my 2 cets worth.

/ Glow Plug light for TC35D #5  
I had to replace the glow-plug control box on my TC35D last fall. Had intermittenmt operation and the same tough start symptoms.

The part was # SBA385870300 and the cost was cheap by NH standards....under $ 50.00 /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <font color="red"> Edit: It was $ 29.00 ... I found the slip !! </font>

Hardest part of the job was getting the shroud off to access the relay center under the left side of the dash....below the fuse box.

You may want to get a new relay for the glow plugs also...its # 86529089...cheap money and easy to replace while you're in there.

FYI...when you look at the relay center, there will be ( 4 ) "cubey" thingies on the bottom below the main relay panel. The left box ( kind of flat ) is the glow plug timer control, the right side cube is the glow plug relay. The two in the middle are headlights and neutral switch relays.

Good luck.

/ Glow Plug light for TC35D
Thank You all for the great information and the fast response time. I'm going to check a few things mentioned by you all this afternoon. Would something like this be covered in a NH warrantee? My warrantee just happens to expire on 02-04-05. I guess i can check with my dealer on Monday. I'm lucky in the fact that my dealer is only five miles away. Being new to this sight I am already addicted. I'm finding myself looking at old posts and getting some really good information.

/ Glow Plug light for TC35D #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( )</font>

Welcome to TBN

Sorry to inform you but your TOO LATE !!
I'm afraid you have succumbed to become another TBN junkie. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for warranty, if it is what the guys above have indicated I would think it would be covered as these are not consummable items. (At least not in my mind. Should last for years)

Sounds like your warranty period will be running out soon. If you don't already have them, you will need to purchase some extensions for your socket set if you ever try to get at those relays. Muffler on driver side is in the way of removing internal bolts holding left side panel on. (At least I don't think they have changed the location of the muffler between 2001 & 2003.)

Good Luck with your machine & remember to post pictures.

/ Glow Plug light for TC35D #8  
Your problem could also be the relay for the glow plug timer.

/ Glow Plug light for TC35D #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( . Muffler on driver side ... )</font>

My driver's seat is square in the middle. Which side is yours on? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

You can't get away with anything here. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I would say the muffler side or the left side. Some of our members drive cars with right-side controls. ...but probably not in OK. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Glow Plug light for TC35D #10  
Yea, I had click, click, click the other morning after starting up just fine and running for 30 minutes, I shut it off to talk with a friend. 5 minutes later I got that click, click. It sat for a day before I had a chance to deal with the problem.
Turns out the positive battery clamp bolt had disintegrated and corrosion had crept up between the battery post and the cable clamp. Enough current for lights and ignition switch, etc., but not enough for the draw of the starter motor. Cleaned up the terminal and clamp, made a good connection, and everything worked like a charm.