hydrostatic VS gear on TC30 model?

/ hydrostatic VS gear on TC30 model? #1  

gregp

Bronze Member
While i am waiting for a tc24da to get in i have been thinking about the tc30. I have to admit i am partial to the looks of the new da model.
My question is what is the real world difference in the two transmissions. I can get a gear driven tc30 for quite a bit less than a 24da or a hydro tc30. I will be running a power rake and tiller and will also have a loader for snow removal in the winter. One more thing, the hydro on the tc24 has "cruise control" but the tc30 hydro does not. Is this any big deal? Would it be easier to operate the tiller or power rake at a constant speed with out holding my foot on the pedal?
I have little experience with either. I really need the input no matter what it may be. I have cash in pocket and it is burning a hole through. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The dealer has a gear tc30 on hand. A hydro will take a month or two. In spite of this burning in my pocket i can wait if i really should. Thanks, Greg

/ hydrostatic VS gear on TC30 model? #2  
First thing that jumps out - you mention running a tiller. There may be many cases where you want to run a slower ground speed (while maintaining PTO speed) than a typical gear tranny delivers even in low-low. That alone is a good case for "creeper" gears (not sure if that's available on a TC30) or a hydro. How slow is slow enough? Good question but I suspect you'd want 1/2 mph or slower often enough that the regular gear tranny might not do it.

/ hydrostatic VS gear on TC30 model? #3  
This is endlessly debated on tbn, but based on your planned uses, wait for the hydro.

FYI - Not sure how serious you are about your future "sidework" with the harley rake etc, but you may want to consider the bigger tractors. I have a TC18 and it is a fantastic lawn mower, snow remover & mulch mover, but she just don't dig. With the lawn prep, there is bound to be some dirt moving required...

My dad bought a TC40DA this fall, what a huge difference. It is more than 2X the tractor. He paid $21,200 for tractor & loader. My TC18 was about $12,500 for Tractor & Loader. It won't take too many side jobs to make up the difference.

Some pics here 2 tractor family

/ hydrostatic VS gear on TC30 model? #4  
DONT GET HYDROSTATIC!!!
Your wife and daughter will take it from you. My wife uses my TC33D like an ATV to run down the road to the neighbors etc. When my daughter visit she loves to drive my tractors. I own 2 hydrostatic tractors and love them. After using an 8N for several years it was nice not worring about a clutch. My neighbor recently had his pond dug out and ask me to landscape around it. He owns a tractor and I ask him why he didnt do it himself. He said it was too dangerous for him to back up that close to the edge of the pond with a gear drive tractor. I had no problems at all.
Sherpa

/ hydrostatic VS gear on TC30 model? #5  
<font color="blue"> DONT GET HYDROSTATIC!!!
Your wife and daughter will take it from you. </font>

That doesn't work. All of my tractors are gear models, and I can't keep my wife off of them. She actually prefers the 8N over the new one though.

I love my TC18, but if she would have let me spend a little more, I would have bought the TC30. Great value for the same price as a TC24. I don't mind not having hydro one bit.

Attachments

• 573570-IM000253.JPG
    573570-IM000253.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 223
   / hydrostatic VS gear on TC30 model? #6  
A HST transmission will typically let you run the PTO at 540 while the ground speed will be slower than the lowest gear speed on most CUTs. For tilling this can be a serious advantage depending on your ground conditions.

I don't know about Harley/Power Rakes.

RE: Cruise Control . . . The only time I ever use "cruise control" is when I am tilling a LARGE area or when I am driving down the road and need to go a reasonable distance (1/4 mile or more). I don't find it to be a serious advantage, but it is a nice convenience for those few times a year when it works for me. Never could use it for mowing on my property, but I don't have very long runs to mow.

TC24 versus TC30. . . for what you are talking about you will be able to use larger implements with the TC30 so if you are doing large areas then larger implements will get them done faster and the TC30 will provide an advantage over the TC24.

I like the view of the TC24 and its loader much better than the TC30's view. I find I am more produtive with my TC24 than with my B2910, but I am used to both and can use either. The TC24 is simply faster because the visibiltiy is better. The TC30 is about the same size and shape as the B2910. View Comparison between TC24 & B2910

/ hydrostatic VS gear on TC30 model? #7  
This comes down to personal preference.

Myself, I find hydro tractors sluggish & difficult to drive. I have no real feedback of what the tractor is doing. They cost more & offer me less feel & less power. In heavy use, there is more wear & maintenence $$$.

But, that is just me. I much prefer my manual tranny pickup over my wife's auto for the same reasons... I spend about 2000 hours in the seat of my 6 tractors, combine, etc. during the year, and just prefer clutching & positive feedback & cheaper operation.

The hydro will be able to run slower ground speeds, if that is important to you. I can see that as important if you run a 3pt trencher. Most other implements a regular low generally is slow enough. But something to consider.

If you are inexperienced the hydro will probably make loader work seem easier for you - again, not how I feel but a beginner might. If you become good at it, a regular tranny is hard on the knee but more productive. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm not trying to recreate the tranny vs hydro wars of the past here, there is nothing wrong with a hydro if that is what one wants. I'm just expressing my observations of it, as well as anyone else may, and there is no true right or wrong here. Ok? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--->Paul

/ hydrostatic VS gear on TC30 model?
Rambler, thanks for the post. I am new at the tractor game and appreciate and need input from both sides of the street. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ hydrostatic VS gear on TC30 model? #9  
Greg, you may get a little more information at this link Kubota HST/GST There is typically a lot of discussion about hydrostatic drives there. I have found that having a hydrostatic with implements like a power rake, tiller etc., absolutely a perfect match. While using a loader etc with hydrostaqtic is really a snap, wait until you try it on a power rake. I must admit I have never used a NH hydrostatic drive (other then a test drive), our NH 2120 is a shuttle. I have about 600 hours of experience with my Kubota's HST and thousands with the various gear transmissions be they standard or shuttle shift.

/ hydrostatic VS gear on TC30 model? #10  
I have a gear TC 30 that I bought at the end of last summer. I drove both tractors and decided to save money. I use my tractor mainly for clearing snow with a rear blade. There are times I love the gear and there are times I wish for the hydrostatic. I used my tractor to take down a cinder block well house and I did not have a lot of room to move around and felt the hydro would have worked better in these tight quarters. It's a 50/50 split. I don't regret getting the gear drive. If you are going to mow and do a lot of FEL work then get the hydro but for anything else the gear is great. The gear even works great with the FEL there is just a longer learning curve (more things to operate). Good luck.