Tires Tire Valve Stem Location

/ Tire Valve Stem Location #1  

poman

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
I have a TC33D with R4 tires. The valve stems on the front tires are on the outside (like on an automobile), but the valve stems on the rear tires are on the inside (which makes it difficult to reach). Is this normal for R4 tires?

/ Tire Valve Stem Location #2  
Mine are the same way. My guess is it's so you can install factory wheel weights.

/ Tire Valve Stem Location #3  
The Dealer probably reversed the wheels for a wider stance.

I expect you'll find this in your owner's manual.

/ Tire Valve Stem Location #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a TC33D with R4 tires. The valve stems on the front tires are on the outside (like on an automobile), but the valve stems on the rear tires are on the inside (which makes it difficult to reach). Is this normal for R4 tires? )</font>

Every tractor I've ever owned, no matter what type of tire, had the valve stems on the inside of the rear tires. That's to keep them out of the way of brush and other obstacles that could break them off. They are far more protected on the inside of the wheels. My front wheels have guards around the valve stems, doesn't yours also have this feature?

I had an old industrial Ford with wheel weights mounted on the inside of the wheels. The weights had cutouts for the valve stems to stick out. That was a 1964 model tractor. My 1954 Ford Jubilee also has the stems on the inside.

I have a MTD lawn mower with the front wheel valve stems on the inside too.

It's all about giving the stems the most protection. It is harder to get to them, but not as hard as having one snapped off while working in brush. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Tire Valve Stem Location #5  
<font color="blue"> The Dealer probably reversed the wheels for a wider stance. </font>
According to the Operator's Manual, Ags or Turf wheels can be mounted dish in or dish out. R4s are only dish out.

/ Tire Valve Stem Location
What type protection do you have around the front valve stems?

/ Tire Valve Stem Location #7  
Poman, I looked until I found a fairly good picture. You can see the guard clearly in the attached photo.

Attachments

• 575452-stemguard.jpg
    575452-stemguard.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 358
   / Tire Valve Stem Location #8  
When I first picked up my TC40D the front turf tires were dished in and the valve stems were clipping the king pin assembly as they rotated. Noticed it as I was taking the tractor off the trailer at home. Never noticed it as I was loading it at the dealership. I caught it before it did any real damaged to the valve stems. An honest mistake. There was not enough clearance with the rims dished in on the front. I suspect the R-4s have the same problem.
Peter

/ Tire Valve Stem Location
Jinman, thanks for the picture. I checked and my TC33D does not have any 'protection' around the front valve stems, which are on the outside. I guess they (New Holland) think that the larger CUT tractors get into more severe situations than the mid size. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif