HELP - My TC33DA Won't Start

/ HELP - My TC33DA Won't Start #1  

drm

Silver Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33DA
HELP - My TC33DA Won\'t Start

Help, my TC33DA is dead. Well not actually, it just won't start & I have snow to plow. The PTO engagement light is on and not permitting the starter to engage. I have checked the linkage & mid PTO switch and operated them both. They are both definitely not engaged.

The mid PTO switch is extended and not in contact with the mid PTO lever (about < 1/16" clear). I have not been able to see where the rear PTO switch is located.

The light came on last Saturday while I was clearing snow with temps about 8* F and a nasty 20 mph wind & snow. Checked all the fluid levels. Figured something froze up and upon thawing it would be OK, not so. The tractor stays in and unheated attached garage that has gotten up to the upper 30's the last few days so I figured all would be well. I have spent the last week cleaning up a pipe break that flooded a bath and bedroom so I did not have time to look at the tractor till today.

The machine has 42 hours so I will call the dealer in the AM but would like to repair this myself if it is simple so I don't have to take the day off.

Any suggestions? Any similar problems?

Thanks....Derek

/ HELP - My TC33DA Won't Start #2  
Re: HELP - My TC33DA Won\'t Start

I am not sure of the new DA series but the D series use to have a little lever I could lift and it would give me a one time start to bypass the safety switches. You could reach in from the back on the left side between the wheel and the housing.

Did you try engaging the PTO and back out again. I know these safety switches for me were kind of a pain at first but once we got them adjusted I have never had any trouble since.

murph

/ HELP - My TC33DA Won't Start

murph,

Yea, I tried them both several times. They both have a solid feel when they engage & disengage. The mid PTO switch is not depressed but I could not locate the rear switch.

I will go out after dinner & look for the bypass. I did not see this in the manual but It is worth looking again.

Thanks...Derek

/ HELP - My TC33DA Won't Start #4  

Have you checked for any loose wires by the connectors?

Dumbdog,

Already did that.

I was looking at a few old posts and will be picking up some contact cleaner to spray the connections to see if it is moisture.

...derek

/ HELP - My TC33DA Won't Start #6  

The light came on last Saturday while I was clearing snow with temps about 8* F and a nasty 20 mph wind & snow

May have ice/snow frozen holding the switch in place.

Sherpa

Sherpa,

The tractor has 95% thawed and dried out. The switch for the mid PTO is operating (at least mechanically) OK. Can not locate the rear PTO switch.

Anyone know where the rear PTO safety switch is?

Derek

/ HELP - My TC33DA Won't Start #8  

Don't know for sure, but I'll reply with the service pages for Class III tractors - switches may or not be the same as Class II. Rear PTO attached.

Even though the plungers may activate, the electric connectors may not be working. Did you test for Open/Closed connections with the switch?

Attachments

• 575668-PTO Safety Switch 1.jpg
    575668-PTO Safety Switch 1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 315
   / HELP - My TC33DA Won't Start #9  

Mid-PTO switch position and testing.

Attachments

• 575669-PTO Safety Switch 2.jpg
    575669-PTO Safety Switch 2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 309
   / HELP - My TC33DA Won't Start #10  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Have you checked for any loose wires by the connectors? )</font>

This is the likely cause of your problem. Look underneath the tractor for wires that have come loose. The wires are poorly protected and simply pushed on with bullet connectors.

After this happened to me, I soldered, taped, and wire tied mine to better protect them.