Ford 8830

/ Ford 8830 #1  

majmarty

Just wondering if anybody out there has had experience with the Ford 30 series tractors? Bought an 8830 about a year ago, it's about 40 hp more than I need but I got it for a price I couldn't walk away from and needed a replacement. It's mfd and only has 4000 hrs on it. Are these tractors built to last or should I figure on trading if the opportunity presents itself? I'm a rancher who puts up hay and feeds it to cows, and have just a little farmground. I think I run the tractor about 900hrs per year. Everyone around here has JD's or IH's and nobody has any opinions for me. Thanks for your time.

/ Ford 8830 #2  
<font color="blue"> </font> I am very familar with this model of tractor, we have sold and service over 100 TW and 8030's around here. An 8830 is an very dependable and solidly built unit. Many of the units we service have over 7500 hours on the meter with severial well over 10,000 hours. They seem to have very few problems and are simple to repair.
If you have any questions, give me a holler. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Ford 8830 #3  
majmarty, like you, I am new here. I don't think you will find many here with that kind of hp. What is it, about 170hp? The biggest Fords I have experience with were a pair of 6610's. They were good, tough tractors, but not the most comfortable I have ever ridden. I would guess your 8830 is a tough one. What is the displacement on that engine? Are you using it for haying? I am just old enough to believe there is no substitute for cubic inches. I have about 2000 hrs on a NH 6640, mostly pulling a NH 650 round baler. It might be the most comfortable tractor I have ever used.

/ Ford 8830
Yes, this tractor is 170hp, but uses the same 401 cu in motor in the 8630(120hp) and 8730(140hp). I just got into this business about 10yrs ago and still haven't gotten a good grasp of hp. We have an IH 1486(160hp) which will often lug down doing some of the things we do so I wanted a tractor that could do everything without problems. However, I'm finding out the 1486 is a bad tractor to base decisions on. Where the 1486 will lug down the 8830 will simply break things; it's powerful. I see your 6640 is rated at about 76-80hp, do you find it capable of doing all you want? I'll be needing a new loader tractor soon and was wondering if I could get away with that size tractor. I'm always worried about the front end holding up when moving bales. The main things we do around here is put up hay in the summertime (JD567 baler)and then feed it out in the wintertime with a BaleKing processor. We're planning on turning one quarter into corn sometime soon, probably when cattle prices go down again. Thanks for your response.

/ Ford 8830
Whitetiger, thanks, that is what I wanted to hear. Which dealership do you work for? I live North-central Nebraska and am often checking out the Kansas ads in the High Plains Journal. Once I got the 8830 home I realized how truly big it was. It's odd that it looks so big but side by side with our 1486 it isn't much bigger at all. Have you seen people using it as a loader tractor? We ended up putting a 12' dozer blade on it which it handles pretty well.

/ Ford 8830 #6  
The 6640 is adaquate for what I use it for. Most of my hay is on level ground (that's how I chose my name-"redlevel"). My bales are probably 1000 lbs. or a little more. It handles two of these well, but I wouldn't want to go much heavier. I think NH reccomends minimum 80 pto hp for the 650 baler. When I was custom baling for a neighbor, on some hilly ground, things could get a little exciting with a nearly full bale chamber when headed up or down one of the hills. If I were to replace the tractor I would probably opt for a little more weight and hp.

My tractor has an interesting history. I bought it from a dealer in Griffin, Ga. It spent its first year on NH's "visibility program" mowing the infield at Atlanta Motor Speedway. I like to tell folks it was a "race tractor." It has most of the bells and whistles (no cab), including the 24/24 transmission. That helps out on the hills.

I also worry about the front end. My tractor is 2wd, and I think you are better off with 4wd with a loader. As long as I am the one moving bales things are ok. My brother, on the other hand, knows only two speeds on a tractor-stopped and wide open.

/ Ford 8830 #7  
I haven't heard anything really bad about the 30-series Ford New Hollands. The powershift transmission is the same as on the later-model Genesis tractors, which was state-of-the-art at the time.

The only thing that I heard was that the Ford's 401 cubic inch engine would not have the grunt at lower rpms. That opinion is just comparing the 8830 to a tractor like a CaseIH Magnum. The Magnums have a 505 cubic inch engine which makes a lot more torque due to the larger displacement engine.

The older Ford TW-series seem to have many more issues, from what I understand.

If it works for your needs, keep the 8830.

/ Ford 8830 #8  
"The powershift transmission is the same as on the later-model Genesis tractors, which was state-of-the-art at the time."

The transmissions are similar to each other but not the same. The 8030 has 18 forward speeds and the Genesis has 16 forward speeds.

/ Ford 8830 #9  
Yes, you are right. What I really meant to say is that the Ford Ultra-Command transmission was a Funk-built transmission.

The same basic Funk transmission was used in the Genesis and also the same basic transmission that John Deere used in the 8000-series tractors. Deere eventually purchased Funk. Obviously, it was/is a terrific transmission.

/ Ford 8830 #10  
Agco also used the exact same transmission as the 8030's in a few of their tractors. Buler-Versatile still uses the same version as was in the 70 Series today only with the top two gears back as an 18 speed again. New Holland sure screwed up in not buying Funk. John Deere bought it to use since it was light years ahead of anything they could even dream of.