Can a TC 26DA pull a 5' Bush Hog?

/ Can a TC 26DA pull a 5' Bush Hog? #1  

rpeter

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Can a TC 26DA pull a 5\' Bush Hog?

I am STILL trying to decide what size tractor to buy. Can anyone tell me if a TC26DA can pull a 5’ brush hog /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif There would be no saplings, just grass/weeds that are less than 12” tall.

Making this decision is driving me crazy, but it sure is fun. I am having a hard time deciding which is going to be more fun, buying it or owning it.
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Can a TC 26DA pull a 5' Bush Hog? #2  
Re: Can a TC 26DA pull a 5\' Bush Hog?

I have no problems going over anything with a five foot brush hog and my 1630 which is rated 23.5 Hp at the pto.

/ Can a TC 26DA pull a 5' Bush Hog? #3  

I have no problem at all using my 5 ft. rotary cutter with my 1715 at 23 h.p. pto

/ Can a TC 26DA pull a 5' Bush Hog? #4  

My ford 8n pulls a 5' hog.. your 26da is more tractor than my 8n.. except possibly when it comes to plowing.. etc..

go for it!

Soundguy

/ Can a TC 26DA pull a 5' Bush Hog? #5  

Don't buy too small a tractor, Ronald. It's an expensive mistake to fix. A TC30 or TC33DA might be more useful in the long run. Neither are big tractors and should work well around trees...and you won't have to work them as hard as the smaller tractor.

You say you will be mowing grass and weeds less than 12" tall. That'll be if everything works right. If you get behind for some reason it might be alot more than that with maybe some saplings mixed in. Then you'll need the extra ponies. Take it from one who's been there.

FWIW
Bob

/ Can a TC 26DA pull a 5' Bush Hog? #6  

I thing the most correct answer is YES and NO.

For light duty and medium duty bush hogging, a tractor with about 21PTO hp will EASILY handle that size unit. In fact a smaller tractor will do it.

Now if you are talking about commercial hogging with a big HD cutter where you are constantly going into fields with 2" saplings that need to get taken down, then I would urge you to consider a larger tractor.

/ Can a TC 26DA pull a 5' Bush Hog? #7  

The general rule of thumb is 5 PTO HP per foot of rotary cutter. That's not set in stone, but you may be pretty borderline. Other factors to consider are frequency of mowing, steepness of terrain, etc. Something else to think about is that brush and saplings are not necessarily the heaviest cutting you'll get into. Some of the slowest going I've had is in the wet, thick grass near the seeps on my back hill.

The short version is that you can probably get away with it, if you are willing to take it slow and cut partial width swathes if necessary. Take a look at how badly you want the 5' cutter and how much HP will fit into your budget and see if either is negotiable.

Best of luck...