max weight on drawbar?

/ max weight on drawbar? #1  

woodlot

Gold Member
Tractor
NH 1920 w/7308 Loader
Whats the max tounge weight I can put on my swinging drawbar? Tractor is a NH 1920. I'd like to pull a 16ft tandem axel car hauler full of split firewood. What do you think?

/ max weight on drawbar? #2  
You ought to be able to put as much tongue weight as your three point hitch rating with out overturning the machine.

Not sure I've ever seen a rating on a compact drawbar. I have heard that you don't want to tow more than the weight of the machine (stopping can become an issue).

/ max weight on drawbar? #3  
You can load it pretty heavy. For the drawbar it is the rear axle rating that matters. In my 2120 manual (bigger brother of the 1920), the rear axle capacity is stated. Also lock the swing, swinging drawbars are not intended for this type of trailer. I routinely haul my 10,000 pound 2 axle tractor trailer around with my 2120 or TN. Load it evenly and try not to take too sharp corners. It behaves funny when you cut it very sharp as the wheels have to slid sideways to make the corner. Backing out of that almost jacknived position is a bear.

Andy

/ max weight on drawbar? #4  
I can't speak for the 2120.. but on the 1920, the 'fixed' drawbar can't 'swing'.. it's either installed straight out.. or not.

Fo what it's worth.. I've moved my tandem axle car hauler with my 1920.. with my 8n on the trailer.

Key is load the trailer like you load it for a truck. Think of it like this.. say youve got 5K# on the trailer.. if there is only 500# on the tounge? your rear axle isn't sweating at all.

Only one caution... Fixed drawbars HATE shock loads. I've seen the bottom of diffy's ripped out by the drawbar/bracket by excessive drawbar weight coupled with shock loads.. like running fast on bumpt terain.. or a pothole.

For those setup I like to use a drawbar stay kit, and then use the 3pt drawbar.. as you know it will support a couple thousand pounds and has more than 4 bolts holding it to the tractor. Course.. the real safety issue here is to DEFFINATELY use a drawbar stay. Heck.. I've even chained the drawbar down to the rear axle just to make a 'emergency max lift' in case the trailer tounge came up and broke the drawbar stay... That makes stopping safe as the tounge won't rise.. especially going down hill.. etc.

be safe either way.

I don't have my 1920 anymore.. thus the manual is gone too.. or I'd look up safe tounge weight for you.

Soundguy

/ max weight on drawbar? #5  
The manual for my JD990 says max 800lb or 850lb static vertical load on the drawbar. My 3pt is rated for just over 2000lb. I think it's more of an issue with the strength of the drawbar itself and it's mounts rather than an axle loading issue.

/ max weight on drawbar? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

For those setup I like to use a drawbar stay kit, and then use the 3pt drawbar.. as you know it will support a couple thousand pounds and has more than 4 bolts holding it to the tractor. Course.. the real safety issue here is to DEFFINATELY use a drawbar stay. Heck.. I've even chained the drawbar down to the rear axle just to make a 'emergency max lift' in case the trailer tounge came up and broke the drawbar stay... That makes stopping safe as the tounge won't rise.. especially going down hill.. etc.

be safe either way.

Soundguy )</font>

<font color="blue"> </font>

Soundguy, could you post a picture of this or explain further please?

/ max weight on drawbar? #7  
TSC sells the drawbar stay kit. it's essentially two bars that run up to the toplink connection from the 11 hole drawbar pins. Keeps the drawbar from coming up.

I'll see if I have a pic.. Ok.. the two bars from the drawbar to the toplink are drawbar stays.. 30$? from tsc...

Soundguy

v1415.jpg

/ max weight on drawbar? #8  
Good Grief! I bet I have held those darn things in my hands at TSC and did not understand what they were! I had been wondering how to fix that problem, (the drawbar rising) and now to realize I have literally held the answer in my hands and not realized it is a bit disheartening.

Thanks for taking the time.

/ max weight on drawbar? #9  
Cool. at least you know what you need now.

Also.. to avoid confusion.. there are two types of drawbar additions.. there is a 1- piece 'sway' bar.. it is 1 piece and flat.. has a hole in each end. Thos go from the drawbar to an under the fender bracket.. ( not spcifically what you need.. but will controll side to side motion if you did need it. )

Then there are a 2-piece flat bar that is bolted together. The pieces slide together so you can set your drawbar at a certain height. That is 2 pieces per side.. etc. Eich piece is about 8$ or so.. so for the 4 pieces.. andout 322 bucks or so last time i checked.. that and a couple short carraige bolts.. etc.

Good luck

Soundguy

/ max weight on drawbar?
Thats a slick setup on that old Ford (8N?). Anyway, In the pic there is a fancy swinging drawbar bracket to keep that 11 hole drawbar from spinning. Is there anything eaiser and less expensive to solve that? (Something that I don't have to make myself and does not cost more than an hour's wage) Thanks!