TC35D starting woes

/ TC35D starting woes #1  

Lablue

Tractor
New Holland TC35D
I'm a new member to this website but I've owned my NH TC35D for 3 seasons now. I wish I had known about this site when I started looking to buy a tractor...what a resource this site is. Anyhow, my problem is my TC35D decided not to start last week. It started to turnover, then died. Not being too technically minded, I checked the battery 1st. 3 yrs. old, original battery, no water in the cells...must be the battery, right?? So, after checking this site for battery options, I purchased a new Interstate battery...same CCA, etc. Hooked it up, went to fire up the tractor...nothing!!! I notice the preheat light goes out like normal but the PTO light stays on. I've noticed in several other threads, folks talking about fuses or hinky safety switches. Any help about where to look next would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ TC35D starting woes #2  
Sounds to me like your PTO safety switch is in need of adjustment or has become disconnected. Have you wiggled the PTO control handle.

If the tractor started and then died, it had to be something to cause the fuel cutoff solenoid to close. That sounds like a defective operator safety switch like under the seat, the range selector switch or the PTO control out of position. Any of these can have a loose or defective switch.

To gain access to your fuses, just remove the two phillips screws on the instrument cluster. Carefully lift the cluster and look at the fuse block located to the left side. If your glow plugs are cycling, I doubt you have a fuse problem.

I'm not looking at my Repair Manual right now, just giving advice from memory. Someone else may be able to give you more specific advice. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ TC35D starting woes
Jinman, I've cycled the PTO handle several times...no luck. BTW the tractor never actually started. The starter turned over a couple of times on the 1st attempt, but no more. How do you adjust/check that PTO safety switch??

/ TC35D starting woes #4  
I had the same problem with mine and thought it was the fuel filter being clogged, but it still continued. Check under the seat and look at the wires and switch for the safety shutoff. What happened with mine is they got crimped and were shorting out. Good Luck

/ TC35D starting woes #5  
I find the safety system a little deceptive on these tractors sometimes. I have the same tractor and one time I left the range selector out of neutral. Well the tractor will crank all day and make you THINK that it wants to start but it won't. It turns out that the fuel injector solenoid does not get activated when the safety system will prevent it from starting. People have given you the right advice about checking the safety system. You might also make sure all the fuses are good too.
If you listen carefully you can even hear the solenoid click when you are starting. If you have a multimeter (a useful investment I might add $36 or so usually), set it for 12 DC voltage detection. You can then pull the wire off the solenoid (its about the size of a pack of quarters above and forward of the oil filter). When cranking check for volts at the solenoid. If you see no voltage then something is preventing the solenoid from engaging the fuel injector (probably the safety system or a bad fuse). If you do have voltage and it still won't start you possibly have a bad solenoid. The manual says that you can apply 12 volts to it and, if its working, you should hear it click.

Let us know what you learn.

Peter

/ TC35D starting woes #7  
Lablue, the PTO switch is under the operator's platform on the left side of the tractor. There's a flat metal arm welded to the PTO mechanism with an adjustable bolt that engages the switch. Because you said that the PTO light is on constantly, I am going to guess that this switch is open. That causes the engine to refuse to turn over when you put the key to the start position. It sounds backward, but when the switch is open the light comes ON. When the PTO is disengaged, the contacts of the switch close and this provides the signal needed for the engine to crank and the light is extinguished. This logic is a little confusing, but if you look at the switch and see a loose connection, that would also be the same as the switch staying open and goes along with the problem you are experiencing.

BTW: it's easy to see the switch if you remove the left-rear wheel, but thats a pain to do. I think if you get someone to move the PTO lever while you look under the platform, you will see everything working and be able to locate the switch.

If your problem was somewhere else, you would not have the PTO light illuminated, so I think your problem is surely the PTO switch or an open wire in that circuit.

Oh yes... One thing I forgot to ask is if you have a mid-PTO installed on your TC35D? if so, it could cause the same problems as the rear PTO safety switch. You will need to check both switches if that is the case.

EDIT--EDIT--EDIT: Here's some more info after I looked at my Repair Manual. Not only can the main or mid PTO safety switches cause a problem, but if the operator safety circuit fuse is blown, it will indicate just like the switch is open (It may be a circuit breaker on your tractor). Remove the instrument cluster by taking out the two philips-head screws. Look at the 2nd fuse (or circuit breaker) from the left in the fuse block. This is fuse #2 for the operator safety system and the fuel cutoff solenoid. If it is an 8 amp CB, all you will have to do is reset it. If it's a fuse, you will have to replace it. I'm sure your problem is either this or some other component of the operator safety system. If could be a relay malfunction, but I'd check the fuses and switches first. To get to the relays requires removal of the black cowling under the steering column and thats a lot bigger job than checking the switches and fuses. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ TC35D starting woes
Thanks to all for the tips...I'll be checking it out in the AM.
Will let you know what I find...

/ TC35D starting woes #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyhow, my problem is my TC35D decided not to start last week. It started to turnover, then died. Not being too technically minded, I checked the battery 1st. 3 yrs. old, original battery, no water in the cells...must be the battery, right?? So, after checking this site for battery options, I purchased a new Interstate battery...same CCA, etc. )</font>

Did I read that right - no water (electrolyte) in the cells? If so, you need to check for other problems in addition to the PTO safety switch. Was the old battery cracked? If you put a new battery in and the voltage regulator isn't stopping charging when charged, you'll be boiling away all the fluid - and probably seeing the problem of fluid all over the engine.