Backhoe NH 758C Backhoe

/ NH 758C Backhoe #1  

chatcher

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC35DA, JD X324
I've been enjoying my new backhoe yesterday evening and today - digging trenches and (hopefully) sealing a pond leak. It seems to be very sturdy and does a real job digging. I only had to remove one stump - about 10" diameter - in soft muck. The tree had been cut nearly a year and it popped right out.

I do have one question. The manual says there is a storage hole on the backhoe frame for the swing lock pin when it isn't being used to lock the boom. Are they telling the truth? It may be staring me in the face, but I can't find it anywhere.

One more day of backhoe work and I'll find out how hard it is to remove from the tractor. As much fun as the backhoe is, I'm anxious to try the new tractor out on some other jobs.

Attachments

• 624341-05APR09-T01a.jpg
    624341-05APR09-T01a.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,223
   / NH 758C Backhoe #2  
chatcher, on my 758C it is on the platform where your feet stay when you are operating the backhoe. There are two 1" holes on each side. I keep mine in the toolbox on my 1920. Bill C

/ NH 758C Backhoe #3  
Congrats on the new toy... I mean tool. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I bought a 757-C about 5 months ago and have been very pleased with it's performance.

The storage hole for the swing lock pin is located in the foot plate at the outboard aft corner. One on the left footplate, and one on the right footplate. I guess they wanted to give us a choice on which side to use. The storage hole is slightly smaller than the other holes in the foot plate. I never use mine, I just throw the pin in the tool box with the other pins and clips.

Have fun and be safe .

/ NH 758C Backhoe #4  
Nice looking BH.

Now you need a BH dolly. You'll find out why the first couple of times you try to move all that dead weight, man what a chore that used to be.

I hope you get your dam plugged. Maybe a little Bentonite mixed in with your fill might help you out.

/ NH 758C Backhoe #5  
That BH Looks great what size tracktor do you have her on. and if you dig out more stumps let us know how that gos. have fun. I am picking up our new tc33da on the 18th cant wait.

/ NH 758C Backhoe
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I hope you get your dam plugged. Maybe a little Bentonite mixed in with your fill might help you out.)</font>

I fixed the pond leak yesterday. Time will tell if the repair holds. Here is a before picture of my neglected pond. It's about 40 years old and still has a lot of fish. The level should be over a foot higher. It is supposed to rain next week, so it should be full before long

Attachments

• 624580-pond01a.jpg
    624580-pond01a.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 568
   / NH 758C Backhoe
The leak wasn't hard to find (see photo). I believe it was caused by tree roots. Once water finds a path it continues to erode until you get a washout like this. Over the past 40 years some trees were allowed to grow too close to the dam (in this case not the man-made dam but the side of the pond that was a natural bank). Moral of the story - keep the trees away from your dam! I used a dozen bags of bentonite mixed in with the natural (mostly clay) soil. Hopefully it will do the trick.

Attachments

• 624581-pond04a.jpg
    624581-pond04a.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 487
   / NH 758C Backhoe
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That BH Looks great what size tracktor do you have her on. and if you dig out more stumps let us know how that gos. have fun. I am picking up our new tc33da on the 18th cant wait. )</font>

Thanks, this is on a TC35DA I just bought. I have some more stumps that need to come out, but they are on steep grades and I'm not ready to try those! Speaking of safety, I was so excited to use the tractor yesterday that I didn't even think about suncreen. I wore a straw hat, but my neck, arms and hands are burned pretty well. This is the first real sun we've had this year, so I guess I can be forgiven and do better next time.

/ NH 758C Backhoe
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( chatcher, on my 758C it is on the platform where your feet stay when you are operating the backhoe. There are two 1" holes on each side. I keep mine in the toolbox on my 1920. Bill C )</font>

I'll look for the holes today, but if they are there I must have looked right past them. The toolbox sounds like a better idea.

/ NH 758C Backhoe #10  
Was your tree that caused the problem originally growing on your dam or near it?

In my part of town we have a large body of water (Nimisilla Reservoir) that for years had trees growing all over the dam.

Then one year the Army Engineers came in and said they all had to go. They dug each one out and filled the hole with a slurry of clay to re-stabilize the dam.

There were a lot of trees and it was a lot of work.