New spreader

/ New spreader #1  

WHMOBX

Tractor
1954 Ford NAA, 2004 New Holland TC 45 DA
And new spreader user here. I need to know how to determine how fast I am going on my tc45da. The spreader chart calls for 5 mph. I don't know how to tell by the tach. What about pto rpm? I've got about 10 acreas to fertilize this week. Thanks for any help you can give this rookie. Bill

/ New spreader #2  
Easiest way is to use a handheld gps & set your cruise control.

You could also measure out a 100 ft length & use a stopwatch.

feet/sec *.682 = mph

at 5mph, you want to traverse 100 ft in 13.6 sec

/ New spreader #3  
When in doubt I set our spreader light and then go over the area more than once at 90 degree angles to the 1st pass.

You'll do all right, believe me this isn't rocket science.

Whenever using fertilizer in your spreader be sure to use a garden hose when finished and thoroughly wash the spreader. Fertilizer is very caustic and will destroy the spreader if left unattended.

/ New spreader #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Whenever using fertilizer in your spreader be sure to use a garden hose when finished and thoroughly wash the spreader. Fertilizer is very caustic and will destroy the spreader if left unattended. )</font>

Oh yes and wash the back of your tractor off also. Fertilizer will take care of a lot of things on the back of your tractor or anyplace else for that matter.

murph

/ New spreader #6  
There's probably something in your owner's manual about gear/rpm and groundspeed. It may not be highly accurate but should be good enough for spreading fertillizer.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> 5mph is a fast walk for a normal sized tractor pilot </font> )</font>

I can see that I'm going to have to start working out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif My short legs would be really motoring to get 5 mph, besides that's one of the reasons I got a tractor .... so that I didn't have to work that hard. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can still hit a high rate of knots when the dinner bell rings but not over long distances. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New spreader #7  
Frank I thought about that too but he has a hydro (infinite speeds). New Holland lists the top speed for range 1 and range 2 but that's as good as it gets.

/ New spreader #8  
I wash mine inside and out with soap and water, let it dry in the sun or air hose, then lube with spray graphite. Mine is a craftsman pull behind, ground driven. Make sure everything on the spreader that can be moved pivoted or adjusted gets lubed. Wash the tractor too.

/ New spreader
Thanks guys for all the responces. I think I'm ready to sling some fertilizer. Just curious why there isn't a speedometer though. Any way I was considering cutting the application rate in half and "cross hatching" to get a more even spread....also because this gives me more seat time. Seems I'm finding more and more excuses to use my tractor these days so more seat time is definately a good thing. Thanks again to all. Bill