Lesson learned today!!

/ Lesson learned today!! #1  

bluenoser

Tractor
NH TC30
Today I learned a lesson the hard way: Check to see that the old oil filter gasket is removed before installing a new oil filter.

What a mess to clean up!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Cheers
Dan

/ Lesson learned today!! #2  
I've never done that one Dan,,,,,but I've sure pulled some boners over the years. Just remember, the best lesson learned and remembered, is from a mistake !

Pete

/ Lesson learned today!! #3  
Dan, I learned one yesterday too. I was cutting out some sod to expand a planter bed. It had to be done with a hand spade because of the area I was working in. I had the tractor parked nearby and tossed the pieces of sod into the bucket. The only thing on the 3pt hitch was a set of pallet forks, so essentially there was no counterweight. As I kept cutting out the sod I just kept filling the bucket. Eventually the bucket was overflowing and packed with turf.

When I was done, I had an overful bucket, and was just going to park it in the garage with the full bucket (I was intending to let the grass die) because I didn't want to drive all the way over to the mulch pile to dump it. I was also tired. End of the day and that was the last project. BUT THEN the lovely Mrs_Bob becided she wanted me to dump it, and the spot was on a gentle slope. I was smart enough to have my seatbelt on! But I wore it out of habit not because I was worried about the gentle slope. Well with no counterweight on the back, uneven ground and the need to lift the bucket, I soon found myself on 2 wheels /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Fortunately I lowered the bucket to stabilize the tractor, shifted into 4wd, backed up and repositioned the tractor and safely dumped the load.

We all learn. Hopefully cleaning up a little mess of oil, or just moving the tractor to a more stable spot is all we have to learn.

/ Lesson learned today!! #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Today I learned a lesson the hard way: Check to see that the old oil filter gasket is removed before installing a new oil filter.

What a mess to clean up!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Cheers
Dan )</font>

Back in 1977-78 I had a co-op (part-time) job as auto tech with Ashland Oil's test lab. We maintained a fleet of company cars undergoing various oil and fuel tests. The Valvoline branded oil filters had a bad habit of losing their o-ring gaskets. I changed the oil in one car, didn't notice the old gasket was still on the engine, and installed a new filter over it. No leaks at first. The car made it about a mile up the road before it dumped all the oil out. Thought I would lose the job, but they took it well.

Reminds me of another time there I changed the oil in a big diesel truck. I had never worked on anything that big, and didn't know any better than to crawl under it with a regular auto drain pan. Even as I removed the huge drain plug it never occurred to me to expect 32 quarts of jet-black oil to shoot out. Did I mention that facility was a showplace with waxed and buffed floors? Now that was a mess!

It's no wonder they never offered me a full-time position!

/ Lesson learned today!! #5  
Dan I haven't learned that lesson yet.

But I did learn to pay attention and shut the fuel valve off before dropping the bowl to change the filter. Man what a mess that makes.

And of course as Bob Skurka will tell you if you do get diesel fuel on your clothes don't throw them in with the other soiled clothes. (thanks Bob) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Lesson learned today!! #6  
Mike, that was over a year ago and I am still having nightmares from the event! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif As I learned, if you spill diesel on your clothes, it is less painful to set yourself on fire and endure the flames, than it is to deal with the wrath of woman with a pile of stinky laundry and a crying daughter with school uniforms that smell like they were used to wipe down the school bus engine compartment.

/ Lesson learned today!! #7  
Not a tractor incident, but related. In the mid seventys, my new girlfriend walked into my dad's shop, where I was changing the engine oil of my first, just purchased eighteen wheeler, I got her to hold the funnel while I began pouring in the new oil while standing on small step stool. After emptying the bucket, I stepped off stool, into 5 gal. of fresh oil that was spreading all over shop floor, realizing that I forgot to put the plug back into the oil pan. Girlfriend also standing in the oil, thought that I was just missing the funnel while pouring. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif