TN 65 problems: need advice

/ TN 65 problems: need advice #1  

n5oxp

I purchased a new TN65 in 2002 and shortly thereafter the tractor started leaking oil or diesel out the exhaust manofold. Hauled it 50 miles to the dealer, they ran it on the dyno and I picked it up. About 150 hrs later the same thing. Back to the dealer, back on the dyno, and then back to pick it up. About a month ago it does it again. This time the New Holland rep gets involved and they found a leaking valve cover gasket and decided to send the injection pump in for excessive smoke and low power. I waited three weeks with no word so I went to the dealership and learned that the mechanic had dropped the key out of the injection pump into the tractor and from what I could see of my tractor most of the motor had been removed. The service manager said they were waiting for a gasket to come in and would have the tractor back together in a matter of hours once it arrived. That was five days ago and in two days my tractor will have been in the shop for one month. My question is; at what point should I be able to expect New Holland to buy back this tractor or give special consideration on a replacement tractor? Even if they do get mine "fixed" it may be some time before I know for sure since the problem is intermittent. Plus, if I ever decide to sell most people will back away when I tell the tractor's history.

/ TN 65 problems: need advice #2  
I'm waiting for my new tractor to be assembled at the dealer (a TC40D). Frankly this doesn't sound like a good handling of this situation. You must be a person of great patients.

I think I would try to get NH involved. I wonder if anyone of the big colors monitor this site. If they do, yours is the sort of message that must make them pause.

Sorry I don't have any useful advice. I'd sure like to know how it all works out.

/ TN 65 problems: need advice #3  
Walk to the phone and dial 1-888-290-7377. This is the New Holland Customer support line. They have assisted me twice with the results I desired.

/ TN 65 problems: need advice
The dealer talked to New Holland and they only show two warranty claims. I have taken it in three times for the same problem and it turns out that one of those times was not recorded. Lesson no.1: Be sure and get a copy of the work done and be sure that they make a record of it. As far as New Holland is concerned, one of the times never happened and they are unwilling to help. The mechanic said the leak was not actually coming from the exhaust manifold but rather it was coming from the valve cover gasket. I hope this is it but at this point I don't have much confidence. Such an easy fix could have been discovered two years and three trips ago. Also, there is some sort of extended warranty on the emmision components that goes out to 5000 hrs. It covered new injectors and work on the injection pump for my tractor. I'm not sure which New Holland models are covered but it would be worth checking into if anyone has fuel system troubles. Some dealers may not even be aware of this. My dad's old Ford 3600 is 25 years old this year and has never been in the shop. Between our two TN65s this makes 6 times they've been in since summer 2002. Guess which tractor I'll pick when it really counts.

/ TN 65 problems: need advice #5  
Where are you located? That sounds like my dealer! You might have to wait another three weeks and then have the same problem. Four or five times. Sooner or later your tractor will be out of warranty and then they don't have to deal with you. New Holland was no help whatsoever. Have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ TN 65 problems: need advice
I'm located in SW Arkansas. I really like my dealer but I told him yesterday that I bought a new tractor to get away from some of the repair headaches. Between these two TN65s I have hauled them over 500 miles total for repair work on $2.10+ a gallon diesel. I've also had to borrow tractors and switch equipment around to get hay loaded for customers. If I had it to do again, I think I would buy an old Ford 5000 or 5600 and go through it and make sure everything was mechanically sound. From what I have seen, it is not just New Holland. These well-established tractor companies need to go back and look at history from the 70s and review what happened to the big three auto makers.

/ TN 65 problems: need advice #7  
From your story I thought maybe you were in Houston! I will finally get bored with the unstoppable ( by the dealer) leak and fix it myself. I've got a fair idea what the problem is, I just don't feel like clogging up my driveway for a month or two waiting on the wrong parts. I'm probably just being unreasonable, they probably designed the leak into the unit to keep the clutch disk oiled. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif