choosing a tractor

/ choosing a tractor #1  

bbabineau

Silver Member
I am considering a TC24 or 29 DA to work on our retirement property. 2.5 acres with 1.5 of hilly (20 degree slopes) fields, two creeks and lots of landscaping needs.
I would be considering a fel, brush mower and post hole unit. My biggest concern is cutting brush on the slopes. Can anyone advise on how it should be done or if this unit is capable of these slopes. How should the tractor be equipped? Which one would work best? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

/ choosing a tractor #2  
Cut slopes up or down.. not across. some units allow you to dish the rims out to make a wider stance. Sounds like you may want to look at a hydro unit..

soundguy

/ choosing a tractor
How would a hydro unit add to functionality? And what would it contribute to mowing hills? I can understand your comment about up and down the slopes - is it better to always mow up or down? Should I add weight to wheels, tires or front assuming a rear mower or would a belly mower be better?

/ choosing a tractor #4  
Not so much to functionality but safety. No chance of slipping and dumping the clutch. Not that I want to persuade you not to buy a NH (I love mine) but maybe a PowerTrac or similar model might be better? Someone owns one here (Can't remember who right now and which model) and they can come with double wheels and supposedly handle cross slopes with ease.

/ choosing a tractor
Interesting that you mention power trac. It is another that I am considering but was somewhat concerned about lack of dealer network. The PT site seems to have many owners who are very adept at repairs while most of the NH posts seem to refer problems to the dealer.

/ choosing a tractor #6  
I mow a pretty steep slope with my TC33D and a 60" Woods brush mower. I'm very glad I went with the hydro. Tractors are much more stable pointed up hill than down, so drive up hill and then back down. The hydro trans lets the mower keep going while I change directions, which I can do much more quickly and smoothly than on my old manual transmission tractor. I feel much more safe on my NH.

I have a 7308 FEL and loaded rear tires.

/ choosing a tractor #7  
I am on a 2.5 acre hill with a TC24da. I do a lot of digging, moving rocks and dirt around. I don't think it would be a good idea to try clearing brush and weeds on this hill with this tractor. I am considering getting a DR field and brush mower for that.

Brian

/ choosing a tractor #8  
I've got a NH TC24 and a Ventrac 3000. I considered PowerTrac, Ventrac, and Steiner. Ventrac & Steiners are often equipped with double wheels, both also have (on most models) weight transfer systems that increase traction onto the front drive wheels. For 2.5 acres with slopes, take a serious look at the Ventrac 4200 series and the Steiner 430. They are an unconventional design, placing the majority of the implements out front, but they are going to be a lot more stable on the slopes. Both Steiner and Ventrac have dealers nationally, but they are often spaced far apart. My Ventrac is the smallest model, I bought is specifically for mowing, but it will do "figure 8s" and "u-turns" on slopes with complete confidence and stability while the same slopes are strictly UP and DOWN travel slopes with a traditional tractor. I had a PT 422 on the property, it is not very good at hill climbing, but it is a very versitile machine. The PT425 would be a better choice if the slopes are not too tall as the PT425 has higher torque wheel motors.

HST would be a great option for working on hills, I've used both, I'll never go back to gears on hills. Gears are fine for getting up an down the hills, but for actual work on the slope, I just think the HST is so substantially better that gears are not even in the same league for those applications.