Grinding gears

/ Grinding gears #1  

woodlot

Gold Member
Tractor
NH 1920 w/7308 Loader
I've been doing some loader work with my tractor. Its a 1920 with the 12x12 sss trans. I'm doing all work at approx 2,000 rpm. Occationally I hear the dreaded sound of grinding gears (not real bad but a little grind) when putting it into forward or reverse. I'm trying to figure out why this is happening, if something is wrong or if I'm doing something stupid. I have the clutch fully depresed when shifiting. This does not happen all the time, in fact I'd say only 1 out of every 20 shift changes. I think I have determined that there is one serieno when it happens consistantly. Its when I'm changing directions (fwd to rev or vise versa) and I think I've caught gear but I'm acctually in neutral.....I let off the clutch thinking I'm going to move but I don't.....I then press in the clutch and shift into gear....this is when the grind occurs. However, if I'm changing directions and don't accidently put it in neutral I very rarely get a grind.

Can anyone help me out?

/ Grinding gears #2  
It's been several years since I had my 1720, but I seem to recall a similar situation, doing exactly as you've described. I too frequently went from forward to reverse, heck that's the beauty of the SS tranny, right, and then in the rare case when I slipped and didn't get it in, and then did, it would grind. Only thing I could figure was that I'd somehow gotten something free-wheeling/spinning, that normally wouldn't have, and it takes a minute to stop. You might try waiting a few seconds next time if you've messed up, before engaging, and see if this makes a difference. Never did see any damage however from operating this way.

/ Grinding gears #3  
I've got a 2120 with the shuttle. Why are you using the clutch to shift between forward and reverse? I just flip the lever. If I'm moving, I'll just flip in in neutral to shift between gears. But it doesn't sound like you have a problem to me. Gring happens sometimes.

/ Grinding gears #4  
SS works like a stick shift, manual transmission automobile. You wouldn't shift that without clutching, or would you? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Don't think I ever shifted without pushing in the clutch, even standing still. Just a good habit I guess.

/ Grinding gears #6  
Woodlot,
Are you letting the rpm go down before you try to put the shifter back into gear or are you maintaining the 2000 rpm the whole time?

<font color="blue">You wouldn't shift that without clutching, or would you? Don't think I ever shifted without pushing in the clutch, even standing still. </font>
If you don't use the clutch on a shuttle you can very easily damage the transmission. Now, If it was a power shuttle you wouldn't need to clutch between forward and back.

/ Grinding gears #7  
I thought the tractors we are talking about only had one type of shuttle, no clutch needed for forward/reverse. I'm talking the 17,19 and 2120. I could very well be wrong.

/ Grinding gears
I maintain 2000 rpm the whole time.

/ Grinding gears #9  
ex. question :

If you have a standard transmission car or truck, would you keep the accelerator to the floor when you shift?
2000 rpm on a tractor would be like 5000 on a car or truck.

Let the rpm drop and then try shifting.

/ Grinding gears
I can't see going down to 500-750 rpm every time I change direction, I'm doing it about a hundred times. The loader work I'm doing is in a small area and frequent shift changes are needed.