Backhoe Need help with NH backhoe subframe assembly

/ Need help with NH backhoe subframe assembly #1  

chatcher

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC35DA, JD X324
I'm having a little trouble figuring out how my backhoe subframe should have been assembled. The backhoe manual has nothing on the subframe, and I do not have the subframe instructions. (I have a 758C on a TC35DA, but I think the same subframe is used for the 757C and all class III tractors.)

My subframe braces were a little loose, and allowed the backhoe to rock up and down some. I discovered that the diagonal brace on the right side was attached to the frame with a smaller bolt than the left. The hole in the brace and subframe is 3/4, and that's the size bolt that was on the left side. The right side is the side with the bracket shown in the attached photo (photo shows an unassembled subframe, not mine). My bracket was sandwiched between the brace and frame using a 1/2 inch bolt.

Anyway, it's this bracket I can't figure out. First of all, what is it for? Secondly, how is it meant to be attached? Mine has a 3/4 hole I can't see on the one in the picture, but also a mysterious corner cutout with a smaller hole. I thought maybe it was meant to be attached in the second frame hole with the corner cutout adjacent to the brace, but it doesn't seem to fit there. If it just gets sandwiched between the brace and frame like mine was, what position should it be in? If you have the subframe instructions, or a good picture of one you know was installed correctly, maybe you can help me out with some information. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 657416-bracket.jpg
    657416-bracket.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 489
   / Need help with NH backhoe subframe assembly #2  
I have a 757-C on a TC-35D. Just from memory I can't ever remember seeing that bracket. I'll crawl under my tractor later today when I get home and see f I can find that bracket.

Of course "Pineridge" will probably jump in here and help you out. I believe he has all the manuals.

/ Need help with NH backhoe subframe assembly #3  
Chuck maybe this scan will help you out. As you back into the sub-frame you need to lower your 3-point lower arms on this bracket before you attach the hydraulic lines to the BH. I bent mine badly once by not doing so and had to straighten it out and reinstall it. It is also important to reverse the bolts in your stabilizers so that the bolt doesn't catch on this piece after it's installed. (see note on picture for bolt)

Attachments

• 657694-bh.jpg
    657694-bh.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 449
   / Need help with NH backhoe subframe assembly
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Chuck maybe this scan will help you out. As you back into the sub-frame you need to lower your 3-point lower arms on this bracket before you attach the hydraulic lines to the BH. I bent mine badly once by not doing so and had to straighten it out and reinstall it. It is also important to reverse the bolts in your stabilizers so that the bolt doesn't catch on this piece after it's installed. (see note on picture for bolt) )</font>

Thanks for the scan, Mike. The backhoe manual doesn't mention any of this stuff. I don't know where my lift arms were when I got the tractor, but when I re-installed the backhoe I did so with them raised all the way up. They didn't hit anything in that position. So the purpose of the bracket is to keep the lift arms in a safe position. The scan doesn't show a brace (#6) on the right side. Don't you have one on that side? Do you know how it is installed with the brace?

/ Need help with NH backhoe subframe assembly #5  
Chuck I agree that the NH information leaves a lot to be desired. There is a #6 bracket on both sides of the sub-frame. If you look at that funny looking cutout on part 22 it actually indexes with the #6 brace that comes back at about a 45 degree angle on that side. There is one bolt through the end of brace 6 and one bolt through part number 22 but it all locks together because of the shape of part 22. If this isn't clear let me know and I'll explain further or take a picture for you.

Yes I also agree the part 22 is a keeper of sorts for the lower lift arms. It puts them in a safe position while the BH is attached and since the 3-point can't be moved while the BH is hydraulically connected it is important to gently lower them on the pad before you connect the hydraulic lines to the BH.

/ Need help with NH backhoe subframe assembly
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...If this isn't clear let me know and I'll explain further or take a picture for you.)</font>

That's pretty clear. And it makes perfect sense given the shape of the bracket cutout. Mine was not assembled like that - in fact it is apparent to me my dealer must have drilled a 3/4" hole in the bracket so he could sandwich it together with the brace (and then used a 1/2" bolt for both /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif). I'll test fit the parts this evening and see if I can get a second bolt through the bracket. I'm assuming I would assemble the brace first, and then the bracket should go on with the cutout against the brace, preventing the bracket from rotating. Mine was also assembled with the brace nuts on the inside of the frame, and with only single locknuts. I'll turn them around so I can keep an eye on the nuts.

Thanks again for the help!