Ford 4000 Loader

/ Ford 4000 Loader #1  

Lono

Tractor
Ford '67 4000 English
I am getting my '67 Ford 4000 English back next week after having the motor totally rebulit. Upon its return, I plan to sandblast and repaint the bugger, to bring its cosmetic condition up to par with the mechanical condition. I was hpoing someone here would have some tips on tackling this project.

I would alos like to know which Ford loaders will fit on my tractor. There are several listed for sale in the local Trader, but they are listed for other Ford tractors. I would assume certain Ford loader #s work with certain Ford tractors.

I ahve also read the suggestion to add "Top N Tilt" for added versatility. Can anyon point me in the right direction on how best to accomplish this on my tractor?

I am new to this board and look forward to contributing. Thanks in advance.

/ Ford 4000 Loader #2  
Lono, be very careful with that sandblaster. There was a discussion on the forum about that quite some time in the past, but I don't remember when. At any rate, you need to be aware of the fact that it's very easy to get some of that sand in some places that can do some serious damage later. Sorry, I'm not familiar with that model so can't tell you what you'd need to do to get the Top 'N Tilt.

Bird

/ Ford 4000 Loader #3  
Lono,

My neighbor has a Ford 4000 diesel and the best price he could find on a loader was $4,500 ... too much ... so he opted to get a different tractor. I don't know if he looked around for used or not.

Good Luck, JimBinMI

/ Ford 4000 Loader #4  
Lono, I just sold an old '64 Ford 4000 Industrial (gasoline) for $1,000. That old 2wd tractor and loader had so many problems I was extremely happy to see it leave my property on someone else's trailer./w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif I could probably have held out for more, because the loader worked perfectly (mechanically), but the industrial tractor had no PTO and the loader was so big that when the bucket was half full, often I couldn't back up and many times I couldn't go forward because of the rear wheels being so light on the ground. I had wheel weights, loaded rears, and a box blade for ballast, but the tires were old and the cleats just wouldn't grip in loose dirt or on slight inclines.

Now, for more specifics, the tractor had a special undercarriage for the loader and also the front axle was about twice the size of the Ag tractor model. If you put a loader on your tractor, get ready to spend some $$$ unless you get lucky and find an old loader. I just don't think you are going to find anything to fit your tractor that is much more than the old "manure" loaders. My old 4000 had a separate hydraulic reservoir, pump, and plumbing mounted to the front of the engine and a special grill made of cast iron (weighed about 200 lb) which extended out to cover the add-on hydraulics in front of the radiator (there was some major engineering going on here). I could go on and on, but all this is to suggest that you don't spend a lot of time looking or a loader for your tractor. I have a 3pt reversible dirt scoop for the rear of my tractor which I use on a Ford Jubilee (NAA) and I found I could do more with that than the FEL on my 4000. You just might find out, after spending all that money, that you could have done just as well for a few hundred dollars. My suggestion is to save your money for a newer 4wd tractor with loader. I think you will save yourself lots of frustration. Good luck.

Check out this link to a manufacture/retailer of hydraulic cylinders for Top-n-Tilt. Getting the correct hydraulic hookup will be the toughest thing on your old tractor. I'd also suggest you consider saving your money until you can afford a newer tractor. I suspect you will spend a minimum of $2,500 to get the correct plumbing, control valves, hoses, quick connects, cylinders, and misc. hardware that will all have to be specially made for your tractor. I would'nt tackle that job and I'm pretty much of a do-it-yourselfer. Again, good luck.
http://www.baileynet.com/

JimI

/ Ford 4000 Loader #5  
lono
the best model ford loader to fit this tractor are the model 730, 735, or 744 hope this helps