Oil & Fuel Gas To Diesel

/ Gas To Diesel #1  

Carpentractor

Tractor
Ford 515
I have a 1976 3 cyl Ford 515. Gasoline Model

It appears from the service manual that the Block, Crank, Rods are all Exactly the same as the Diesel Model.

I will be needing an overhaul very soon and was wondering if it would pay to find a head, injectors, plumbing and injector pump for this one to convert it to a diesel.

Your thoughts and information would be appreciated!

/ Gas To Diesel #2  
Keith, anything can be done if you have enough money! You are looking at MAJOR bucks to do this. Do you know if the block has cutouts, bolt holes,ETC to accept an injector pump. Also the pump runs of the timing gears, I think you would have problems there.

6-27459-jimsford.gif
jim

/ Gas To Diesel #3  
I think you have missed something here. The compression ration on a diesel engine is typically 16:1 or 19:1 and a gasoline engine is typically 8:1. That is done with crankshaft stroke and piston construction. The pressures in the cylinder make it necessary to have different pistons and rings to hold the higher gas pressures. I just have strong doubts that your engine components are the same. I don't know for sure, but I think you need to check a little closer.

JimI

/ Gas To Diesel #4  
For that matter, many of the old indirect injections run at 22:1. Diesels typically have a larger cooling system and often times a larger current starter. I would think that with all that would have to go into making a gas a diesel, it might be simplier to go find a used diesel. By the way is this one of those yellowish and blue Fords? Rat...

P.S. How about rebuilding this gas engine, selling it and getting a 4wd compact?

/ Gas To Diesel #5  
Hi Keith!

=)

The guys here are right. Mucho dinero!!!

Didn't know you were also a tractor guy. =]

Best,
Jay

/ Gas To Diesel
Jay,

I just found out about this here. This was my first post.

I am planning on a rebuild soon or as soon as the bucket stops working. I get lots and lots of wear metals in my oil analysis after only 50 hours time.

Bore and Stroke are identical. 4.4 bore and 4.4 stroke for both.

The timing gear for the distributor uses is the same gearing and mount for the diesel pump. I would need a pump and gear.

I am not sure about the rods but according to the ford tech I spoke with they are exact too. He said the pistons differed. The book says the gasser has 3 compression rings and one oil control ring. The gasser has one less compression ring. With the exception of the additional ring the two pistons even look alike.

I would be replacing pistons though as I will probably try 10 over if all looks ok in there.

You guys are correct in that the starter is about a half inch larger!

I never spoke to anyone about the camshaft but I was figuring to replace that as well on the rebuild. Even though the specs for this are identical to the gasser.

Cooling system. The diesel and gasoline cooling system are the same size.

It is certainly tempting !.

I figure I will need pistons anyway because I will probably have to bore the cylinders to get rid of any taper. I hear piston slap already so I know it must be bored. There is a good chance the cam is toast too and it will need new lifters.

I figure it might be possible to find a head and an intake manifold somewhere for this unit. Then some injectors and a pump. With that out of the way It would leave me with only a starter to find. I would have to rebuild the head on my current unit too so I was hoping I would offset some costs as long as I could find what I was looking for. This may be the needle in a hundred haystacks though.

If the diesel by itself was cheaper or easier to find I would be very happy to go that route too.

Rat
It is a yellow ford not a blue one.

It is an industrial tractor. with a Simms Cover and a Farm Factory Corporation Loader Materials Bucket.

It can be seen here next to my other favorite Ford:
http://www.ford-diesel.com/photos/getphoto.php3?262

It is painted John Deere Yellow. Not my choice. I preferred the Ford color.

Keith
1976 Ford 515, 735 Loader with 753 Hoe<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Carpentractor on 07/30/01 03:37 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Gas To Diesel #7  
Sounds like an interesting possibility. The compression ratio could come from just the pistons and the head. If you find a used head, it'll likely have a block, starter and various other things attached to it. There are a lot of tractor salvage yards around the country including one in Elkhart, Indiana near me. Let me know if you want a phone number /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

15-43440-790signaturegif.gif

/ Gas To Diesel
Rob,

When I saw that the Compression Ratios for the diesel were only 16.3 to 1 for the Diesel and 7.75:1 for the gas the thought that it was only the pistons and the head went through my mind.

Yes I would love that phone number

Keith
1976 Ford 515, 735 Loader with 753 Hoe

/ Gas To Diesel #9  
Keith, it's Myers Implement. Phone 219-294-1008. If they don't have anything they may have a list of other used dealers. Hope you find your needle in the haystack /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

15-43440-790signaturegif.gif

/ Gas To Diesel #10  
Wow! You must really love that tractor...almost as much as you love a challenge. Good luck.

JimI