PTO problems (strange noise)

/ PTO problems (strange noise) #1  

bigtater

Tractor
bota 5700
Hooked up the bushhog yesterday on my tc35 to do some bushhoging. turned on the pto started off and noticed a grinding noise every so often around 30 to 45 seconds shutdown the tractor checked everything fluid levels, hookup, etc everything looked fine. Tractor was at 300 hours so i figured it was time for the trans fluid to be changed anyway I was hoping that it was just the filter, Nope still there. The noise sounds kind of like a gears grinding lasts about 1 second, not a constant sound just every min of so, coming from somewhere under the seat only when the pto is running. It does without the bushhog hooked up but not as bad. Does anyone have any idea what's causeing this??

Thanks,
Tater

/ PTO problems (strange noise) #2  
What year is your Tractor? Fill out your profile/sig, it will make it eaiser for people to help you with your issues.
That rectangular cover on the floor board at your feet is where the PTO engages, that may be why you are hearing the noise under the seat.

If you have a an newer model, did you get the PTO Brake (Recall) item fixed? Not sure what they replace in there, but the dealer claimed that it can "cause bodily injury or death" Might want to think about that one.
Other than that, I'm not much help, I have 40 Hrs on the meter with no issues as of yet.
Good Luck.

/ PTO problems (strange noise) #3  
Tator, your PTO uses a hydraulic clutch/brake to engage. The noise you are hearing is probably associated with that clutch because it is directly below your seat. There is a relief valve there that has to be adjusted properly or the PTO clutch will slip and wear out prematurely.

I would think you would know if your PTO is slipping because your rotary cutter blades would slow down or stop in heavy grass. Also your hearing the noise only intermittently is very curious. I can't figure what would cause it to happen only every minute or so. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Have you been slowing your engine and engaging the PTO at low rpm? When you stop the cutter, do you slow the engine first or just disengage the PTO at full speed? If you do it at full speed, there is a chance that your PTO clutch is worn. You should always engage/disengage with the engine at low rpm. When you disengage the PTO, does the cutter stop within about 10 seconds or less?

There is not much difference in PTOs from model to model except the hydrostatic models can also have a mid-PTO. Your PTO drives directly off the flywheel by a PTO driveshaft that just passes directly through the transmission and is not affected by the transmission clutch or gears. There is no gear engagement since the PTO clutch/brake is the only on/off mechanism in the drivetrain.

I recommend you check with your dealer and see if your tractor was part of the recall and I'd also check with the service manager to see if he has seen this problem before. My PTO has always worked perfectly on my tractor and I have over 850 hours with at least 200 of those hours running a rotary cutter.

/ PTO problems (strange noise)
My 35 is 2001. I never got a recall notice so i guess it's ok. The last time the pto was used was by my great uncle to finish bailing about 30 square bales of hay. I checked for anything loose causing the noise and have not found anything. For a while i didnt slow the rpm's while disengaging but got here and found out i needed too. All in all i dont use the pto much just some bushhogging and tedding.

/ PTO problems (strange noise) #5  
The Class III TC models that were affected by the recall were:

16. PTO Brake problems for serial numbers after G524944 to approximately G604974
New Holland Safety Recall

/ PTO problems (strange noise) #6  
gday mate on my third unit now . n.h not covering warranty on it now. aussie units didnt have recall ,they say its not a big problem i wonder how many tractors have this problem?
what info can you give me the recall.

ROB /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ PTO problems (strange noise) #7  
Hey jinman, I know this is not exactly what the subject is, but I've been having a problem disengaging my PTO, the last time I tried to start it, it wouldn't crank. I ended up having to get under the tractor, and holding down the limit switch for the PTO to get it started. (I have a 2004 TC35 hydrostat, with 75 hours) The vendor picked it up and got it started, but I think all they did was adjust the screw down on the PTO lever, because the PTO still runs, no matter what I do, and I have to pull back on the PTO lever to get it started. Do you have some words of wisdom I can tell them next week, for them to get it right?

/ PTO problems (strange noise) #8  
Doug, you didn't mention if you have a mid-PTO or just the main/rear PTO? I'm going to only give you instructions for checking the main PTO lever.

The main PTO lever has a switch under the left side operator's platform. You can look up under the platform from in front of the wheel while moving the lever and see the mechanism. It has a pivot point directly under the left side console that could use some lightweight lube like WD-40 or penetrating oil and there is an "ear" welded to the mechanism with an adjustable bolt thru it (You may have to look from the rear of the tractor to see this.). That bolt's head opens or closes the PTO safety switch. That bolt must be adjusted so the switch contacts close when the PTO lever is in the disengaged position (switch depressed). When the lever is moved from the OFF position toward ON, the switch opens and the PTO light illuminates on the instrument panel.

I suspect the technician simply depressed the safety switch so it closed and allowed your tractor to start. If you linkage isn't bent, you can also adjust this bolt/switch, but the instructions call for the left rear tire to be removed for easy access and you may not be able to easily get to the adjustment. I've never had to adjust mine, so I'm not sure.

Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ PTO problems (strange noise) #9  
Look at my post from earlier. I'm not sure if this has to do with the problems that caused the recall but don't let this happen to you...........

I have a 2000 model year TC35D with 300hrs that had the PTO break and fill the case with broken parts. I bought this tractor new from a dealer.

I understand that New Holland had issued a "campaign"/recall that was supposed to prevent this from happening.

Does anyone know if the problems associated with the recall could have caused this to happen?

New Holland has agreed to pay for the replacement parts but will not pay for the labor ($2000+)
JDDan