Moving round bales

/ Moving round bales #1  

Boomerman

Tractor
2001 New Holland TC45 MFWD
I may have to move some round bales of hay (1600 - 1800 lbs each) and was wondering if my TC45 would be able to pick them up with the 3 pt? The TC45 is MFWD with R1 tires and 2 100lbs suitcase weights on the front. The 3pt hitch has the capacity but will the front end be heavy enough? I don't have a loader, otherwise I would just use it. I will only have to move them a short distance on flat ground. I haven't talked to the dealer yet. There aren't many boomers in my area so I'm guessing they won't know for sure. If the tractor isn't heavy enough does anyone know where I can find a trailer for picking up a single bale? I've seen one before but can't find anyone that makes them. Thanks in advance for any help!

/ Moving round bales #2  
Boomerman,

I have not move round bales of that weight but have moved bales in the 800 to 1000 lb range with a TC40D with no problem. I have a front loader that acted as a front counter balance. If no one else responds just shoot me an e-mail and I'll take the front loader off and see how light the front end feels. Of course your bales are a little heavier but I might be able to stack two bales on the back to determine how it feels.

DaveV

/ Moving round bales #3  
Boomerman, do you have some kind of forks on that 3-point to move those bales. I don't know about the TC45, but a few years ago, I sure moved a lot of big round bales with an old 50hp White 2WD tractor with pallet forks on the 3-point; no front loader or weights on the front end.

And I don't know where you could find one of the single bale trailers. I would think most any dealer would know. There are a lot of them around my area and I've heard some people refer to them as "grasshoppers" and "jitterbugs" but don't know if those are brand names or what.

Bird

/ Moving round bales
I have access to a 3 pt. bale spear. I also have an AC WD45 with a 3pt hitch but the front end seems pretty light on it. I don't have the bales yet to actually try and lift one. I might see if a neighbor has some big bales I could try to lift.

/ Moving round bales #5  
Boomer,
I have the jd 4600. Not sure how this compares to the tc 45 but I lift round bales of that capacity all the time. I do have a loader so I don't know how much difference that makes. I just have the bale forks for the back. When I need to I have pallet forks for the front and pick one up on the back and one up on the front with no problems. But I move them around all the time with just the one on the back, but I haven't done it without the loader.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Moving round bales #6  
Boomerman:
My best guess is your TC45 probably doesn't have enough front end weight. If you had a loader no problem. Must remember a loader probably weighs 1200 - 1400 lbs. 200 lbs in suitcase weights probably not enough. 500 lbs might be enough. However, it wouldn't hurt to try with 200 lbs.

/ Moving round bales #7  
Your WD45 will easily move those round bales as it doesn't look like it has a lot of weight but the engine is mounted all the way forward on the long frame of the WD45 which gives you all the counter balance you need. The WD-45 is a heavy tractor and I have used them to move round bales before with no problem.

/ Moving round bales #8  
Boomerman, I think you have enough tractor to move those bales. But just for academic purposes. I have a single bale buggy that uses a boat winch to crank up the bales. There are lots of them around here, and they are all made by individuals. The guy I got mine from is retired, and builds them in his barn. Around here they go for about $300. to $350. The TC29 pulls it around just fine. One thing I noticed about mine was that after a while the cable began to rust and strands were breaking. I replaced it with a stainless cable and it is holding up great.

Ernie