Shifting on TC55DA - what should I expect?

/ Shifting on TC55DA - what should I expect? #1  

Osconda

Silver Member
Texas, Williamson County (aka Texas Hill Country)
Tractor
New Holland TC55DA, delivered 05/25/2005
TC48 owners can probably give some feedback here also.

I have the EHSS option on my tractor if it makes a difference. When shifting gears it appears to me that the shifter is very stiff although the only reference I have is shifting gears on a truck. I feel like I have to use more force than necessary to shift into 1st gear. I'll qualify it this way, if my wife was trying to shift the tractor into first she wouldn't be able to do it without leaning into the shifter.

Is this something the dealer can adjust?

Also, can the dealer adjust the range shifter? I never have trouble changing into medium or high range but shifting into low range some times leaves me out of gear. I realize that when I put the shuttle into forward and nothing happens. Then I put the shuttle back into neutral and wait a bit so as not to grind any gears and securely put it into low.

I've only got 29 hrs. on the tractor so I'm not sure if I'm just not used to it yet or whether I need to get it looked at. I might stop by the dealer and check out how the other models feel when shifting.

I hate taking it back in and being without it if it's something I can adjust myself.

/ Shifting on TC55DA - what should I expect? #2  
osconda,

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a TC48DA with 11 hrs on it (only had it for two weeks) and it's hard to shift the low range gear and the actual gears themselve.

The gears have synchronizers to help aid in meshing the gears. There not like a vehicle transmission synchronizers. Vehicle synchronizers have about or around somewhere in the neighborhood of about 32 teeth per synchronizer. Tractors have allot less teeth on the synchronizers, which in turn, makes it harder to shift. The more teeth on the synchronizer, the eaiser it is to shift. BUT, you can't shift the gears that fast at higher RPM's. Or you cant shift when you have the motor under a load or high torque.

Now the range gears are not synchronized at all. Mine does the same thing as your does. Sometimes, I have to got back to the range gear I was in before and then try the new range gears that I was trying to go into. Or you can shift out of the range gear you are in and shift to the next range gear you want to go into at about a 1/2 mph. Something like the effect of being on a hill and you have it out of gear and you let off the brake to inch down. Only just enough so the range gear can mess.

The dealer will not be able to do anything to help. Only you can help by putting more hours on your tractor. Only that will help. After you get about 100 hrs, you might try synthetic oil. That will help you when you shift gears. But it will only help the range gears only so much. As for taking your tractor back and trading it in, if that is what you have in might. I would not do it. The more hours you put on your tractor, the easier it will be for you to shift gears and change the range lever. The range will break in as well, but it will never be like a vehicle tranny.

I bought a motorcycle late last fall and when I got it home. I was ready to take it back cause of how it shifted. I was totally ticked off. But the dealer told me it would be rough at first, with the more miles I put on it, the smoother it will get. I only have about 1200 miles on it and it shifts and runs better now than when I bought it. After thinking about it, he was right and I'm glad I didn't take it back.

Give your tractor some time. I would say after a year and it still shifted hard, I'd have the dealer take a look at it. Hopefully, I've helped you out in some way or the other.

Cliff

/ Shifting on TC55DA - what should I expect? #3  
I've had a TC550DA 4WD w/ EHSS for a year now... 300 very hard hours on the clock. It shifts a whole lot easier now than it did before, and probably as easy as it ever will. The range selector is still hard to shift, and I expect it'll always be finicky.

Get used to putting it in the gear and range you want while the F-R EHSS control is in neutral, then use the EHSS control to move F or R. It's a whole lot easier that way, on you and on the tractor. Remember there is no 'clutch' foot pedal like a car, you just have a brake and an 'inching' pedal. The EHSS hand lever is essentially acting as your clutch, and it works really well when you use it that way.

/ Shifting on TC55DA - what should I expect?
<font color="blue"> </font> Thanks, BadDog.

Yea, I found out I didn't have to use the pedal for range or gear shifts if I put the shuttle in -N-. I keep catching myself stepping on the clutch (inching pedal) to stop or slow down and I'm really trying to break myself of the habit. I might have 100hrs on the thing before I have it nailed down. 26 hrs. now and counting...

I love the power of this machine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I keep forgetting to take pics of some of the work I'm doing with it to post. Was moving some rock yesterday and I could't believe the size boulder I picked up with the grapple! It's a shame it gets dark so early now (9 p.m.) /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif or I could get more done everyday after work.
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Shifting on TC55DA - what should I expect? #5  
If you're having issues with the range gear, put the shuttle lever in gear (F or R) and engage one of the speed gears. Everything should be locked up in front of the range gears. Press and release the clutch to spin the shafts a little bit. This should make it easier to move the sliding range gear.

This is a pain, but in all honesty, the range selection required moving a gear into contact with another gear - they don't always line up.

/ Shifting on TC55DA - what should I expect? #6  
The few times my range selector was hard to change I just eased out on the clutch a little it then moves with no problem or grinding.
This is also the way to change into four wheel drive when it`s selector does not easily move into gear.

/ Shifting on TC55DA - what should I expect? #7  
I'm currious as to how the steering is working out on your unit especially with a full load in the bucket. One TC55 owner (Neoclark) had difficulties.

I just purchassed a TC55 and can carry around 12-14" tree trunks without any difficulty. However, just before the wheels are fully turned out the steering has difficulty unless the tractor is moving.

/ Shifting on TC55DA - what should I expect? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The few times my range selector was hard to change I just eased out on the clutch a little it then moves with no problem or grinding.
This is also the way to change into four wheel drive when it`s selector does not easily move into gear. )</font>

The TC48/55 are basically Ford/New Holland 2120's with more HP. I've run a 2120 since 1987. The renge selector is always somewhat hard to shift. Keep a lot of lubrication (spray grease) on all the linkage parts. I also agree with the suggestion above regarding easing out on the clutch and it wil shift easily.

Andy