6 foot brush hog on T35 hydro

/ 6 foot brush hog on T35 hydro #1  

jimmysisson

Veteran Member
Tractor
1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)
Hi. I'm new to this board, but have run tractors for a while. My present machine is a 30-year-old Massey 135 with 39 engine HP. I run a 5 foot brush hog over 5-6 acres of grass, some dense. Now it's time to upgrade tractors. Does anyone have experience with a 6 foot brush hog behind a T35D hydro Boomer? Is that too much mower for the engine? I know I could slow down for the worst of it, but is it unrealistic to mow regular field grass 20-30" high by 6 foot wide? The Massey runs the 5' stumpjumper with no effort. Thanks, Jim

/ 6 foot brush hog on T35 hydro #2  
My dad runs a 6 footer behind his TC40 hydro no problem. I've run a 4 footer behind my TC18 hydro no problem. Not the exprience you were looking for, but a couple data points...

PS - welcome to tbn /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ 6 foot brush hog on T35 hydro #3  
It might depend on the type of bush hog your planning on running.

I have the medium duty BB600 behind my TC35 hydro.. at around 1000lbs.. it is more then enough for the TC35.

/ 6 foot brush hog on T35 hydro #4  
I have a TC33DA and use a BushHog SQ600. It is a perfect match for the tractor. I have read here that you need 5 HP for each foot of BushHog. I can cut down almost anything logs, stumps, rocks, boards, bricks, and occasionally I come across a tall grass field. I recommend the extra 85 bucks for the slip clutch version.

/ 6 foot brush hog on T35 hydro #5  
I've had an SQ720 Squealer on my TC35D for the last year. It has done everything I've asked with no problems other than breaking the shear bolts every once and awhile. I would definitely get the slip clutch option if your are mowing uneven land or one with rocks or dead wood. I haven't mowed a field with 2 foot grass, but I've mowed wooded areas with up to one inch saplings and I've been able to maintain a reasonable speed with the tractor. It's great to be able to mow up to trees, fences, etc with the mower the same width as the back tires. Based on that, I'd go with the six footer even if it meant slowing down in longer grass areas. Good luck.

/ 6 foot brush hog on T35 hydro #6  
I have a TC35, but a 12X12. I run a Bush Hog SQ72 with zero problem. The unit weighs about 905 lbs and mine came with the slip clutch for just over $1,100 (in November).
I know the Hydro robs a little more PTO power, so according to the 5HP rule you will be a little short. I would still go with the 6 footer, it's covers my wheel tracks perfectly and the 3 point can snatch it up high and quick. (get the slip clutch, no sense in messing with the pins).
JMO

/ 6 foot brush hog on T35 hydro
Thanks to all for the input. I think I'll go with the 6' just to get the side offset. Some of the mowing is easy going, and there the 6 will shine. I'll have to slow down in deep stuff. Wow, what a great lot of info in a short while. THanks again, Jim

/ 6 foot brush hog on T35 hydro #8  
Ford 8n at 27 hp runs a 5' mower.. ford NAA with 33hp runs a 6' mower.. your old MF could run a heavy 6' mower.. My ex-NH1920 (32?hp) could run a 6' mower.. a tc35 should run a 6' mower. besides.. if it gets thick.. let up off the pedal a bit..

Soundguy

/ 6 foot brush hog on T35 hydro #9  
I have a tc35 D, with a 5' bush hog (which was given to me) and I wish I had a 6 footer. It's like the tractor is begging for a 6 footer....I'd go for it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 6 foot brush hog on T35 hydro #10  
I have a TC35 gear tractor, and it handles a 700lb Woods BB72 just fine. The power is fine in knee-high stuff, but I have to grab a pretty low gear for the waist-high stuff. It's a small-ish tractor, so I'm glad my cutter isn't a lot heavier. I would say 800# would be about as heavy as I would want to go.