Ford 1900 Power Steering Question

/ Ford 1900 Power Steering Question #1  

HogSlayer6

Tractor
Case 930, Ford 1900 and 8N
I purchased a Ford 1900 4WD w/FEL and the Power Steering doesn't seem to work especially under a load. I can't find a manual for it around here but I have seen a couple of articles on the net about "power assisted steering" on the 1900 model. I have checked the hydraulic fluid level and it is ok. Is there a separate power steering unit or does it feed off the hydro system. If there is a separate unit where is it and how do I add fluid to it.

Jack

/ Ford 1900 Power Steering Question #2  
Jack,

I'm not sure if I understand your problem, but it sounds similar to a situation I had with my MF.
I was using my loader moving brush to burnpiles not long after I got the tractor and found that if I lifted the load and started to move out the power steering wouldn't work immediately. I was operating at a pretty low RPM because the work wasn't heavy and I figured that was the best way to go. I was advised by service dept people to jack up my RPM's a few hundred and that corrected the "problem". Even if you're doing "light" work I don't think the oil flow will be sufficient with the engine idling. Hope this is your only problem! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Ford 1900 Power Steering Question
Glenn

I don't know if I tried it at higher RPMs. I can't jump on the tractor and findout since its about 250 miles from here. I will try it at High Rev this weekend and see if it is any different.

Jack

/ Ford 1900 Power Steering Question #4  
Sounds like priority valve problem unless you hear a relief valve whistling. Steering should get it's designated gpm (flow)before rest of system if it's like most hydrostatic steering systems. I suppose it could be possible to produce such a low flow that spool in valve wouldn't work properly. My steering works fine at idle, but pump produces 17gpm.