Speedo/PTO Cable Replacement on TN75

/ Speedo/PTO Cable Replacement on TN75 #1  

1bush2hog

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TN75
The speedo/PTO stopped working /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifand I checked the connections on the reverse side of the instrument panel. It appears the cable loosened up enough to let the drive gear which comes from the sensor wallow out the inside of the cable.

Since my tractor is in NC and I am in GA, I would appreciate any foresight/experience on how difficult it is to replace this cable? I assume the other end of the cable must connect to the transmission - is it hard to get to or difficult to replace. The end closest to the speedo just screws on the back of the panel. Hopefully I will be so lucky on the other end? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks in advance for your help.

/ Speedo/PTO Cable Replacement on TN75 #2  
Sounds like you are asking about the tachometer cable, as there is no mechanical cable providing a ground speed or PTO speed signal on that tractor. It mounts to the left side of the engine near the oil filter. I believe there is only one clamp anchoring the sheath under the cowl. Replacement reqiures disconnecting both ends, any anchor clips, and pulling it out towards the engine. Install the new cable in reverse order.

/ Speedo/PTO Cable Replacement on TN75 #3  
My throttle cable broke on my new TN65D at 18 hours. My dealer was good enough to send a mechanic 40 miles at no charge to fix the cable. It took him over 2 hours to replace it. This is one of those situations where some bean counter in idiot land decided they could save 50 cents by replacing solid, reliable, time tested linkage with cables for most of the major controls on the New Holland tractors. The only problem is the cables are cheap, unreliable and flimsy. This is almost the same type of deal that GM did on its pickup trucks for the tail gate straps. For years, chains or solid metal straps held the tail gates safely open with little or no problem. Then, out of nowhere, some wet behind the ears, bean counter decided he (or she) could save a few pennies by replacing the tail gate straps with cable. Within a year or so, the cables started to break and people were getting hurt. They had to replace all of the late model trucks with stainless steel cable! I'll bet in the final tally it cost them twice as much because of the stupid cables. I hope its an easier job for you than it was for the mechanic on my tractor. He had to tear apart the entire throttle mechanism (not easy getting it thru the plastic covers) and then go under the tractor and mess with a tangle of cable and brackets. I discovered with him, that most of these cables are exposed to a great degree and if you are working in the woods or in tough high weeds, the cables catch on almost anything that touches the underside of the tractor. I pulled out weeds that had caught on the cables. Its a miracle that something didn't rip my other cables off. The cables need to be protected or better yet, replaced with the old style linkage. Good luck on your repair.

/ Speedo/PTO Cable Replacement on TN75
Thanks Rick for the information. Sounds like it will not be too difficult to replace (famous last words) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will be heading up in the morning to give it a shot anyway.

I could probably make the dealer come out and fix it, but I suspect his repair person maybe the reason it's not working now. They replaced the "brain" last fall and possibly did not re-install the cable correctly when they put things back together.

Oh well, can't prove that and not really worth my time to push this issue, unless the cable turns out to be expensive.

Gotta give a little to get a little sometimes. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Speedo/PTO Cable Replacement on TN75
Ken,

I have pretty good luck so far, but certainly hope I don't loose a throttle cable. Sounds like a pain. However, when you use a tractor as a tractor, mechanical opportunities will be inevitable. I've been very pleased so far with my TN75 even though I have had some minor issues.

I agree - what looks good on the drawing board and bottom line does not necessarily translate into the best solution in the real world.

I went thru the tailgate cable replacement with my 03 HD too. Fortunately I had the cables replaced before they broke. I was lucky with that one too! Loaded and hauled my 600lb ATV many times prior to replacing those cables - fortunatley without incident