Glow Plug lite

/ Glow Plug lite #1  

NHWOODSMAN

Tractor
NH TC40D
While starting the TC40d like I normally would the glow plug light went out, started.. ran fine, then I backed out of barn and happened to look down and the glow plug light came back on and 10 to 15 seconds later went out. No obvious change in how the tractor ran. Any similar problems or issues with this light or the glow plugs themselves. Don't know if it is going to be an issue up here in New Hampshire over the winter. I would guess if there is a problem it would be tenfold in 0 deg weather. Thanks.

/ Glow Plug lite #2  
I would just watch it some. If it continues I would actually check with a meter if the plugs are actually coming on when this light comes back on. If the tractor was sitting in the barn with lots of moisture maybe your switch got some moisture in it and shorted to the glow plug contact.

If it continues and still under warranty I would have it checked out by your dealer.

murph

/ Glow Plug lite #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( While starting the TC40d like I normally would the glow plug light went out, started.. ran fine, then I backed out of barn and happened to look down and the glow plug light came back on and 10 to 15 seconds later went out. No obvious change in how the tractor ran. Any similar problems or issues with this light or the glow plugs themselves. Don't know if it is going to be an issue up here in New Hampshire over the winter. I would guess if there is a problem it would be tenfold in 0 deg weather. Thanks. )</font>

Patrick, the glow plug acting that way is the same as it would act if you turned the key off and turned it back on. For that reason, I think there is a possible problem with the one of the glow plug relays, a relay socket, or the ignition circuit. If the glow plug power relay or timer relay is loose or defective, you could be having this problem. It might be the ignition, but I'd expect you to be having problems with the fuel cutoff if the ignition were malfunctioning. If you look around page 3-36 or 3-37 of your Owner's Manual, you will see an electrical circuit diagram. The ignition switch is S-1, and the glow plug power relay is K-3. The timer relay is K-4. To get to these you have to take the two-part cover off below the dash. The relays are on the left side of the steering column.

To remove the cover, you take the two bolts out below the steering wheel and then you have to raise the hood and take two bolts out on each side of the firewall so you can remove the entire cover.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this work on your tractor, then it's time to return it to the dealer for repair. I would not let the glow plugs keep cycling on and off because it will shorten their life tremendously from the stress of heating up and cooling off continuously. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Glow Plug lite #4  
I would replace the lamp timer relay. These are not high quality, long life items; we carry them in our service truck inventory due to brisk sales over a large list of models that part is used on. In the unlikely event there is a different cause for your symptoms, I'll bet you will need that timer relay sooner or later anyway.