TC33D Glow Plug Timer

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer #1  

SteveInMD

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC33D
I've got the issue with my TC33D where the glow plugs come on at random times. I've already replaced my ignition switch. I went to my dealer and asked for a glow plug timer module. They sold me a relay, but I don't think it's the timer. Can anyone tell me the part number for the timer?

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer #4  
How much do they charge for that little item.. mines still doing that too!

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer
Can anyone tell me is the "Glow Plug Timer Relay #7" (shown in my owners manual) is the same as "Controller Glow Plug" shown in the parts system the dealer uses?

The part number from the part system is SBA385870300, not 83965764 as mentioned above.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could clear up this mystery.

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer #6  
Steve, my IPC for the Class IIIs shows the same part number, SBA395870300 for a "Control Unit" with an arrow pointing to exactly what is called a glow plug timer or glow plug timer relay in other places in my Users Manual and Repair Manual. (Gosh! I wish they'd use the same nomenclature.)

Anyhow, this illustration shows that the control unit has an "ear" on it for attachment with a screw after it is plugged into the socket. The other relays do not show that ear attached. They are just simple plug-in relays.

The part numbers for the other relays are:

Glow Plug Power: 86529089 (30 amps)
Glow Plug Light: 86509590 (20 amp)

I think the SBA... numbers are sometimes temporary numbers. I know some of the filters on my tractor had SBA numbers that have changed to permanent numbers starting with 8xx... . It's possible that the number RickB gave you is the permanent number for the controller. I just don't know why another dealer wouldn't have the same information. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer #7  
Without any doubt SBA395870300 was the part number for the lamp timer relay (20 series compact terminology) for years and years in the NH system. It most likely still shows up in many dealers' databases as a valid number, that is not a bad thing at all. SBA was and still is used as a prefix for parts for Shibaura built Ford and NH compact tractors. The number I posted is from the current version of NH's PAL system and is shown used in all applications that used to call for SBA395870300. If they are not in fact the same part, they certainly are interchangeable. NH has changed hundreds if not thousands of part numbers in the last year or so. In many instances there is no clear substitution chain for the new numbers listed in the current version of PAL.

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer
I finally got the part and installed it. It seems to have fixed the problem with the glow plugs turning on a random times.

For anyone else with this issue...

The actual part label says - "Lamp Timer", the package calls it a "Glow Controller" the NH part system calls it a "Controller Glow Plug" and the owners manual calls it a "Glow Plug Timer Relay" Since different people call it different things it was hard to find someone that could successfully look the part up.

As mentioned above the CNH part number is 83965764, however the dealer may only have the alternate part number SBA385870300.

I sure hope this problem is fixed for good. It's not hard to replace the part, but getting your hands on the correct item was a major effort.

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer #9  
My light is screwed up and im thinking of getting this timer(relay)(controller)(whatever) is it the the bosch plug in thing thats about 1" by1" and just plugs in? Thats what i hear clicking on mine and glow light does not stay on long enough now and random comes on and off.

Mike

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer
Yes, the timer just plugs in.

It can be hard to tell if the problem is the timer or the ignition switch. Mine turned out to be the switch.