PTO Control Valve Stuck

/ PTO Control Valve Stuck #1  

Tedman

Tractor
New Holland TC 35D, Farmall H, John Deere 450C crawler loader
Over the past few times of running the PTO, I noticed that the PTO lever was getting harder and harder to engage and disengage. To the point that I was starting to bend the PTO lever on the console. First I thought that the linkage just needed to be cleaned and lubed but that didn't help. I disconnected the linkage from the PTO control valve under the seat and all of the linkage moved freely. So I figured the problem had to be in the control valve. I couldn't even rotate the shaft of the control valve even while pulling or pushing the linkage while reaching up behind the tractor.

I ended up taking off the seat to get at the control valve and removed it. The spool which rotates in the control valve to direct the hydraulic fluid had galded with the casting and locked up. After removing the spool and going over it lightly with emory cloth to remove the gald, cleaning up the bore in the casting, and replacing the O-rings the spool once again moved freely. There is a minimum amount of clearance between the spool and the casting and all it probably took was a little dirt and grit to start the galding until it finally siezed up. I keep my tractor clean and there are not many hours on it (200) so I was kind of surprised that it happened. It wasn't a hard fix, but just thought I would pass my experience along in case anyone else notices their PTO lever starting to get stiff.

Ted

/ PTO Control Valve Stuck #2  
Thanks for the info, Tedman. You didn't say what model tractor you have, but I see from your profile that it's a TC35. It sounds like a pretty rare problem, but at least the fix was not too hard. I'm glad to hear you got it fixed. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ PTO Control Valve Stuck #3  
Actually not a rare problem at all. Common on tractors that sit a lot or don't get the PTO valve exercised regularly. If the lever is starting to get stiff, a liberal dose of your favorite penetrant where the shaft enters the valve body and a couple dozen on/off cycles of the control usually limbers it up. Providing of course, this action is taken prior to the control siezing up completely.

/ PTO Control Valve Stuck #4  
<font color="blue"> Common on tractors that sit a lot or don't get the PTO valve exercised regularly. </font>

The last time I operated my mid-mount PTO was at delivery, 2 years ago! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Might just have to engage that this weekend.

/ PTO Control Valve Stuck #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Common on tractors that sit a lot or don't get the PTO valve exercised regularly. )</font>

I guess most TBNers must use their tractors often because this is the first I've heard of this. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif