TC35D PTO loss of power

/ TC35D PTO loss of power #1  

msallen

Tractor
New Holland TC 35d
I bought a 2004 TC35D with Hydrostatic transmission with 260 hours and I'm the 2nd owner. How can I find out if the warrantee is still active and since I'm the 2nd owner does that matter? My problem is loss of power to the PTO. The front end loader works fine but the PTO to the 5' brush cutter has lost power. I'll engage the PTO and it shows it to be engaged on the dash but it doesn't get full power. The blades turn but it just doesn't sound like it's getting full power, as soon as I try cutting grass or brush it bogs down, then I'll lift the cutter all the way up and it slowly speeds back up. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mike

/ TC35D PTO loss of power #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I bought a 2004 TC35D with Hydrostatic transmission with 260 hours and I'm the 2nd owner. How can I find out if the warrantee is still active and since I'm the 2nd owner does that matter? My problem is loss of power to the PTO. The front end loader works fine but the PTO to the 5' brush cutter has lost power. I'll engage the PTO and it shows it to be engaged on the dash but it doesn't get full power. The blades turn but it just doesn't sound like it's getting full power, as soon as I try cutting grass or brush it bogs down, then I'll lift the cutter all the way up and it slowly speeds back up. Any ideas? )</font>

Mike, your PTO clutch is slipping. Mine will do the same thing if it is not fully engaged. Your control lever is out of adjustment, or your PTO brake/clutch is worn. If you continue to try to operate it, you may do permanent damage if it isn't already damaged. You need to get it to a dealer and get it checked. If its just a lever adjustment, it will be an easy/cheap fix. If it's the clutch, sit down and hold your breath so you don't hyperventilate when they tell you how much it will cost.

Check with the local NH dealer. He can look up when/where your tractor was sold and see if it's in warranty still. I sure hope so.

BTW: There was a recall for many tractors relative to a faulty PTO clutch. Yours just might be one of those.

/ TC35D PTO loss of power #3  
Jim,

Was the recall for the PTO Clutch or the PTO brake? I know that one of my items in the Boomer Class III Problem list is:

16. PTO Brake problems for serial numbers after G524944 to approximately G604974, recall campaign 000250.
New Holland Safety Recall

/ TC35D PTO loss of power #4  
Of course, you've checked the hydraulic fluid levels?

Does forward and reverse movement of the tractor seem appropriate - that is, does this seem like a hydraulic pump problem (which would affect the PTO and drive train), or an isolated PTO mechanism problem.

/ TC35D PTO loss of power
Thanks all!

Fluid level is full and forward and reverse works fine as does the FEL. Every now and then the PTO lever is hard to engage, just doesn't seem to go forward all the way, but shows on the dash that it is. Seems to be isolated to the rear PTO.

Where is the serial number located?

I'm just trying to find out all I can before I contact the local dealer here in Beaumont, Tx. I've heard alot of negative feedback on them about giving an estimate and ending up to be about doubling the cost and just adding on the the original list.

Is this a 2 or 3 year warranty and did it start from the original purchase date? I can call the original owner to find out the purchase date.

Thanks everyone,

Mike

/ TC35D PTO loss of power #6  
Chris, unless I'm terribly wrong ( and I am quite often) the PTO brake and clutch are integral pieces. The clutch releases the brake by diverting hydraulic pressure as controlled by the position of the PTO lever. De-energizing the clutch is the same as setting the brake. Does this sound kosher? I think that's how it works off the top of my head. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MIKE: I think you have a two-year "bumper to bumper" warranty on your tractor and a three-year powertrain warranty or 2000 hours. If your tractor is a 2004 model, I don't see how it could be out of warranty.

...hope you get it fixed before "lovely" Rita arrives. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ TC35D PTO loss of power #7  
Mike,

I used to work for them and they have gone thru a management change. I would ask for Allen and I know he will fix you up. Lillian in the service department can look up your info on the used tractor and tell you if it is still under warranty. They are good folks to deal with. Just tell them Jason from Lansdowne-Moody told you to see them.

/ TC35D PTO loss of power #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Every now and then the PTO lever is hard to engage, just doesn't seem to go forward all the way, but shows on the dash that it is. )</font>

I was having a similar problem. See PTO Control Valve Stuck. The PTO lever was beginning to bend and like you I couldn't get it to go forward all the way because of the gald on the spool valve. If the lever doesn't go all the way forward it wouldn't let the spool in the PTO control valve to open up completely which might cause the PTO to slip under load. Try disconnecting the PTO linkage under the side console and manually engaging it by reaching up behind the tractor. When doing it manually and with the linkage disconnected I was able to rotate the shaft fully and keep the PTO from slipping. Before I fixed mine I could hardly even get the spool to rotate, but now I can engage it with ease and no more PTO slippage. As far as the PTO light, it will come on with little rotation of the PTO engagement lever, its just a safety switch on the shaft, but that doesn't mean the spool valve is open all the way. Worth a shot...worked for me.

Ted

/ TC35D PTO loss of power #9  
Jim,

I'll defer to you on this.