Can't get more relaxing

/ Can't get more relaxing #1  

thcri

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29D, 2001
Can\'t get more relaxing

Woke up this morning and it was raining. Had all kinds of plans but the rain stopped them all. So I took off and got me all the filters I needed for my TC29D. Got some engine oil and some Hydraulic/Transmission fluid and came home.

Took the loader off my tractor and ran it around a bit to get warm. I dropped the Hydraulic fluid out, engine oil and then changed all the filters. Even the fuel filter. Filled all oil resevoirs, swore a bit at New Holland for putting the Hydraulic Fluid filler hole where they did but got around it. Started the tractor back up and everything working fine. Dropped some oil sweep on the garage floor and parked the tractor. All in all it took me about three hours. Was not in a rush, loved listening to the rain but my helper was slow at getting me my tools as I needed them. Don't ever have your wife help you while she is on the phone with her mom. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

But it was a really peaceful day.

murph

/ Can't get more relaxing #2  
Re: Can\'t get more relaxing

I'd sure like to hear some of that.

/ Can't get more relaxing #3  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I dropped the Hydraulic fluid out, engine oil and then changed all the filters. )</font>

Murph, you and I must be on the same schedule. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I didn't change anything but my hydraulic oil and filters, but I did it on Saturday morning with my wife helping. Heck, she even held the funnel for me while I decanted the five-gallon buckets of oil into a two-gallon can that was more managable. I have to give my wife an "A" as a helper. She's pretty darn good... even while on her cellphone. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Can't get more relaxing

I moved my oil to a 2.5 gal container also. Wife was good there but mostly I am giving her a hard time. I called her "cheap help" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It was good time us being together.

murph

/ Can't get more relaxing #5  

I'm curious Jim and Murph are you both using NH hydraulic oil or an alternative?

Mike,

There has been so much discussion on the oils that my head started to spin. So Saturday when I went and got my filters I checked on pricing. WOW, the standard oil was 25.00 for 2.5 gallons and the F200 was 64.00 for 5 gals. I just about (I won't say anymore). So since we were going to Sam's I just thought I would check them out first. 5 gal pail of Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission oil was $22.00 for a 5 gal pal. So I bought home 10 gals. I just couldn't see spending that much more money. I asked Soundguy what he uses and he told me Walmart. I trust Soundguy. So that is what I am using. I will watch the oil to see how long it takes before coloring as my original oil 300 hours looked pretty good yet.

murph

/ Can't get more relaxing #7  

Murph I was just curious, not trying to prove a point one way or another. Sounds to me like you saved a few bucks. Thanks for the quick response.

/ Can't get more relaxing #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So since we were going to Sam's I just thought I would check them out first. 5 gal pail of Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission oil was $22.00 for a 5 gal pal. So I bought home 10 gals. )</font>

Good luck with that oil, Murph. I keep hearing it's okay for some applications, but not recommended for HST transmissions. I don't know. It might be fine.

I've always used NH oil previously, but I decided to try the Traveller brand from TSC. I actually wanted the Mystic brand, but they were sold out of it when I was there. The Traveller was about $29 for a 5-gal pail. Right away I noticed the NH oil is much thinner. The Traveller says it's 10W-20, so that should be okay for our area in TX where it doesn't get too cold.

When I was at Sam's last week, I noticed they had 5-gal pails of Rotella hydraulic oil. I'm sure I'd trust Rotella oil too. It was also about $29 per pail.

If it turns out I'm not happy with the performance of this oil, I'll go back to NH oil. I know it's expensive, but I only have to change it about every 1-1/2 years so double the price doesn't add up to that much over time. I do always use NH filters. That way I know I'm getting the right filter.

Jim,

Your probably right. I am going to watch it close and see how it performs. If I don't like it then I take it out and replace. It did say it met New Holland Specs.

murph