TC 45D W/ SS HST PROBLEM

/ TC 45D W/ SS HST PROBLEM #1  

PHIL_AYERS

Tractor
'01 TC 45D W/SS
To anyone who might have an idea about this. I was moving dirt and noticed a slight vibration at the bottom of the HST pedal, worked a little longer and it developed into a heavy vibration and noise and the tractor would barely crawl. The dealer has taken the tractor apart and can find nothing wrong. They do not have it back together yet. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

/ TC 45D W/ SS HST PROBLEM #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( To anyone who might have an idea about this. I was moving dirt and noticed a slight vibration at the bottom of the HST pedal, worked a little longer and it developed into a heavy vibration and noise and the tractor would barely crawl. The dealer has taken the tractor apart and can find nothing wrong. They do not have it back together yet. Any suggestion would be appreciated. )</font>

Hi Phil, and welcome to the forum. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have been communicating with Phil on his problem and all I can think of is a blocked fluid passage or a break in a line causing the HST pump to suck air. Does anyone else have an idea? Any of the technicians ever hear of this type of failure? It's got me scratchin' my head since Phil's dealer says he can find nothing wrong after tearing down the tractor.

Phil, did you recently have the tractor serviced with fluid/filter changes? Is it possible a filter is clogged? Was the hydraulic fluid at normal level? Were you working on level ground? What kind of jobs do you normally do with your tractor?

I know that's a lot of questions, but this is a very unusual problem. Since it's related to the HST transmission, I know many of us are interested in what could have caused it and what will be the outcome. It always makes me really nervous when I have a problem and it goes away or can't be found. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Please keep us informed. I think you are wise to keep looking for a problem with the tractor apart. If you put it back together and it fails again, you will just be out much more money.

BTW: Phil's tractor is a 2001 model... just like mine. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ TC 45D W/ SS HST PROBLEM #3  
Phil.. how many hours do you have on your tractor?

Vibration leading to loss of movement.. my guess would be pump bearing or seal went bad? Would a flow problem cause vibration at the pedal.. whether caused by the pump.. pinched line.. or clogged filter? Hope they find the problem.. keep us informed.. mine's a 2000 model.. 1850hrs.

/ TC 45D W/ SS HST PROBLEM
Tractor was serviced in Feb. about 40 hrs ago. Fluid was full, I was working on level ground. I don't use the tractor hard, finish mowing, light bush hogging, hay moving, and once in a whiile a little earth moving, and general utility. Max 100 hrs.a year. There were no noticible leaks or air related noises, and no visible damages to lines. Everything seemed normal until the vibration started. The tractor has 540 hrs. Purchased with 464 hrs. 1 1/2 years ago. Thanks!

/ TC 45D W/ SS HST PROBLEM #5  
i'have a tc 45 with ss and hydro and at a moment i was driving and under my seat there was vibrating something
a few days before it my tractor was went to the dealer for a little problem with a selection stich of the 540/540E pto
but someone had done something wrong and a cog wheel was broken. is without any protest repaired by my dealer.
i you had a broken cog wheel i could be very expensive /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ TC 45D W/ SS HST PROBLEM #6  
My TC40D-SS had a complete failure of the HST (see TC40D HST/PTO Fails) after 24 minutes of ownership. The engine would start fine, everything electric worked fine, but no motion of the tractor and no PTO function. It was a fractured snap-ring that was supposed to hold the coupler connection between the charge pump and the engine flywheel. With a 50 cent part and two hours of warranty labor it was up and running.

/ TC 45D W/ SS HST PROBLEM
The snap ring was where they went first. It was intact. No visible damage of the HST internal parts or drive line. Thanks for the input.

/ TC 45D W/ SS HST PROBLEM #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The snap ring was where they went first. It was intact. No visible damage of the HST internal parts or drive line. Thanks for the input. )</font>

Well... I can absolutely guarantee you it isn't the clutch. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ TC 45D W/ SS HST PROBLEM #9  
From Phil Ayers in the closed Thread: </font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just to update. My tractor had a catastrophic HST failure. Only one that I've heard of. My dealer is going to try to rebuild the HST. Took forever for them to diagnose the problem. Still don't know how much it's going to cost.
)</font>

Phil, its sounds like something is a little fishy. First your dealer tears the tractor down and can't find the problem. Next, we hear that it's a catastrophic failure. Does this mean there was no evidence of a failure until the transmission was disassembled? Has your dealer told you what part of the transmission failed? I'd sure like to know if it is seals, pump parts, or an internal casing. Yours is one of those rare cases where we get to find out how much a hydo repair really will cost. I hope you'll keep us informed.

Also, I know you are new to TBN and may not know how to find your original post. If you come to this forum and don't find your post, you may need to look at page two or three to find the original. There are lots of posts and it doesn't take long for your thread to end up off the first page of topics. Starting a new thread is frowned upon because many folks will ask a question that has already been answered. If's far better to search until you find your original post. Heck, I have a post called "No Joy Joystick" that has been going on for several years. If I started a new thread everytime I couldn't find the post on the first page, it would be impossible to follow that topic. Finding the original post is just a better way to keep things organized. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ TC 45D W/ SS HST PROBLEM #10  
It sounds to me like one of the rotating groups in the hydrostat it's self went bad. From the way you described it, I would guess it was the pump end, which unfortunately means the metal went all through the transmission. Make sure they replace the oil and both filters.