Tires Replacing front tires on 4WD 1920

/ Replacing front tires on 4WD 1920 #1  

fourzs

Tractor
Ford / 1920
I need to replace the front farm tread tires on my 1995 Ford 1920 that I purchased new. The current size is 8-16 Firestones. Does anyone know of any restrictions on size, i.e., circumference? I'd like to install a little bigger tire since, from what I can see, the 8-16 tire size isn't very popular anymore.

Any comments on tire replacement is appreciated.

Thanks

Fourzs

/ Replacing front tires on 4WD 1920 #2  
If it is 4wd, you need to keep front to back ratios the same... unless you plan on changing out the rears to a different sige.. I'd stick with stock fronts...

don't want to get driveline wind up...

Soundguy

/ Replacing front tires on 4WD 1920
Thanks I didn't realize there was an issue front/back. Based on their website, Firestone doesn't make the 8-16 anylonger. Do you know of a good replacement tire?

Does anyone know if the circumference needs to be the same? I've heard the same size tires from differenct mfg's may not have the same circumference?

Thanks again for your help.

Fourzs

/ Replacing front tires on 4WD 1920 #4  
Would these be the same?

edit......
Actually I found 4 different ones on Firestones website.

/ Replacing front tires on 4WD 1920 #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If it is 4wd, you need to keep front to back ratios the same... unless you plan on changing out the rears to a different sige.. I'd stick with stock fronts...

don't want to get driveline wind up...

Soundguy )</font>

The front to back ratio is a big deal. A friend of mine borrowed my 1987 2120 a number of years back and blew the fron differential ring and pinion--$1600 later and a second tear down when they blew a second time do to improper shimming, the machine was back to normal. Ford (now New Holland) tried to blame it simply on the wrong air pressures. I don't think so. I think he was too rough on the machine. Also have you tried Galaxy tire for the fronts? They carry some odd sizes. http://www.galaxytire.com/ They will sell direct if you ask them nice. Very good prices and good quality tires.

Good luck

Andy

/ Replacing front tires on 4WD 1920
Hi Inspector,

I double checked Firestone site searching on 8-15 or 8.0-16 with no luck. If you get a chance can you provide the URL.

I found the Goodyear/Galaxy tire specs and I'm trying to find the specs on my original tires to compare circumference and stuff.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Fourzs

/ Replacing front tires on 4WD 1920 #7  
Try these......

G-1 designation Has 3 different tires listed.

M lug R-1

However, these appear to be REAR tires, at least to me. Unless your 1920 has extermely large front tires. If these are the wrong ones, accept my apology.

/ Replacing front tires on 4WD 1920 #8  
Rear, no not at all. Look at the sizes. You hit the nail first time. In fact, the M tire specifically note that it's suitable for front applications. I think that little extra bar might provide a little smoother ride and additional stability for loader applications.

/ Replacing front tires on 4WD 1920 #9  
Check out this thread. Where to get tractor tires Good luck. Hopefully the 16" are more available than the 18".
Concerning matching front to back. Before I found new tires, I had the front worn right down to nothing, and the back still had lots of tread. It must have thrown the ratio off, but didn't seem to cause any problem. I'm off and on bare rock so much I usually left it in 4wd all the time, which I think accelerated my front tire wear. Now I switch only when I need it.