Ford 5000 pre-heater question

/ Ford 5000 pre-heater question #1  

jeffd

Tractor
TC24DA
I have a Ford 5000 diesel tractor, it does not have the typical glowplugs, it has a single plowplug in the manifold with a fuel line with it. I am not getting power to the glowplug. I tried tracing the heavy wire back to the front, but I could not find any fuses.

Can I just put a push-button on this and hit the plug with 12 volts ? I assume I will need to run through a relay for higher amps, and how long is the max for the glowplug 10-15 seconds ?

thanks

/ Ford 5000 pre-heater question #2  
Did just that to my diesel rabbit, 3 seconds in the summer, 5 seconds in the winter. Don't know if this will work for your ford tractor though. You could also install a block heater, this will aid in the engine starting. IH3444

/ Ford 5000 pre-heater question #3  
I have similar heaters on both my tractors. I'm using it in the winter, and typical preheating is 30-60 sec. My Fiat has oil bath filter, and I terminate preheating when I hear "blop" from filter. SAME has lamp, which start lighting when heating is over, usually over 60 sek.
If Ford has oil bath filter, try as I mentioned before.

Hope this helps

/ Ford 5000 pre-heater question #4  
There is no fuse, nor is there a relay. The power goes through the key switch. There is a non-detented position just beyond the normal 'run' position but before the starter is energised. At the point where the oil pressure and charge indicator lamps go out, the thermostart should be powered. 30-50 seconds should be sufficient depending on ambient temperature. There is also an excess fuel button on the injection pump that serves as an additional cold start aid.