Light design on new compacts

/ Light design on new compacts #1  

dqdave1

Veteran Member
Tractor
tc- 29d
Curious on what owners of old and new NH compacts think of the new light design (headlights). New owners that had old design; do they work better? I think they are ugly.

/ Light design on new compacts #2  
Dave,

If you think they are ugly then you have a choice in buying the Case brand. Different color but headlights are different. And you don't have the super-steer option. I don't like the newer lights as much as the old, but if they give you better visibility I could get over it fast.

murph

/ Light design on new compacts #3  
I agree, they are ugly compared to the older version. I've gotten used to it though. Functionality can sometimes set its own standard for beauty. Not sure if thats the case here. They seem to work pretty good but since I've never used the older model I don't know if they are that much better. There are two sets which can be turned on and off independantly. Seem to light things up very well to the sides and front. Did the old models have the 2 sets?

/ Light design on new compacts #4  
I like them OK. The only complaint I have about lighting (and I'm sure it's perennial /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) is that there isn't light back underneath the operator position. I can mow in the field after dark, but anything involving getting the MMM close is difficult because you can't see it very well. I guess some accessory lights on the ROPS would help that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Light design on new compacts #5  
Saw a neat idea in the customization forum titled "side lights for dusk mowing". FastFran placed license plate lights on fenders for night time mowing with a MMM. stated they don't draw many amps. I don't have a MMM but it may be just what the doctor ordered for those that do.

chuck

/ Light design on new compacts
The older style has 2 bulbs per side. They cannot be be operated independently. One switch turns on all 4. I did not even know you could buy a Case version. That is what is so great about this forum. You will always learn something new each time you review the site.

/ Light design on new compacts #7  
I don't like the new lighting arrangement. I just bought a 2005 TC40A with 16LA FEL. Without the loader, I'm sure the lights are fantastic, but with the loader attached, the new lighting arrangement leaves a lot to be desired. When the loader is down in transport mode, in order for the lower lights to illuminate anything in front of you, the bucket is too close to the ground for comfort. My other experience with NH/Ford tractors is my fathers Ford 1320. Because of the higher position of the lights in the hood, this was never a problem with the loader attached on the earlier models. Other than the lighting though, so far I like the TC40A a lot.

Erik

/ Light design on new compacts #8  
I agree about the visibility problems with the new lights/loader. Had the same problem with my old 1920, but I didn't think it was quite as bad. Will probably use the same fix as I did on the 1920, once I have a little free time and a couple bucks loose. I had about $60 in two forward facing flood lights mounted on brackets off the ROPS and a rear facing work light on one fender. It let me see where I was going and what my rear implement was doing, and had the added bonus of lighting up the operator's station.

As far as the looks of the new lights, I don't know that I have any particular problem with them. They are a little odd looking, but the whole tractor is so much different in appearance from what I was used to they don't seem to stand out much.

/ Light design on new compacts #9  
Same problem with my TC55DA and lights with the loader but dang, after using that old 3,000 I'm still in hog heaven with the new lights. Had just one rear halogen put on the ROP facing rearward and it lights the dog outta the rear at night. When I get time I want to get a couple of them and mount facing forward somewhere up high on the ROP.....that should do it good. I wonder how many lights like that the system can handle??? I want to first build a shield/brush protection that covers me good from the falling dead trees, then I'll decide where to put the new lights.