Winter starting - TC40DA

/ Winter starting - TC40DA #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
My tractor was a spring baby and we are starting our first cold weather season. There is nothing in the owners manual about special procedures. There is a note about the optional block heater for use below 0 degrees.

My normal process is to always pull the throttle all the way back when I shut down. I don't move it on startup. But last weekend - the first frosty morning - the engine spit, sputter and then died on the first start. I moved the throttle slightly, then did a restart. It started and ran.

So is it necessary to advance the fuel slightly on cold mornings? Should I cycle the glow plugs a couple of times before cranking?
Thanks for the advice.

/ Winter starting - TC40DA #2  
Page 2-5 of the TC25, 29 and 33 Operator's Manual has the following note;

"NOTE: When ambient temperatures are colder, a longer pre-heat time is necessary. Even after the cold start indicator light has gone out, the glow plugs will continue to heat if the key is held in the "HEAT" position."

Also, the starting procedure, regardless of the outside temperature is to "position the hand throttle forward so that it is one-fourth to one-third open when starting the tractor."

/ Winter starting - TC40DA #3  
Yep, follow what Mike says. Keep your key in the heat position even after the light has gone out. I will keep mine there about ten seconds after the light has gone out. And the throttle up a bit helps.

murph

/ Winter starting - TC40DA #4  
Here again is a difference between the Class II tractors and our deluxe model Class IIIs. Our tractors don't have a "HEAT" position on the ignition. As soon as the key is turned to the "RUN" position, the preheaters come on for 10 seconds and then automatically go off. To turn them back on for another cycle, we have to turn the switch off and then back to run.

I don't have a lot of experience in cold weather like some here, but it does get pretty cool in Texas for an hour or two in February. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Several times I've started the tractor in the 20º F range and I had to "bump" the throttle up slightly to keep the engine running smoothly. I just move it up a little and watch the tachometer. If the engine rpm goes above 1000, I pull the throttle back. I like to keep a cool engine well below 1000 rpm. Overreving a cold engine is hard on it. I've noticed that my rpm drops down to about 750 with the throttle pulled all the way back even when the engine is warm. When it's cold, the throttle needs to be open a little more to keep the engine running.

/ Winter starting - TC40DA #5  
We're in Ohio where it can get pretty cold on a winters night. If you wait for the timer light to go you before you spin the starter on your Class III machine then you should't have any problem starting. I have always started the 40D at idle and gradually worked up from there.

/ Winter starting - TC40DA #6  
maybe the fuel was gelling and seperated a bit. I haven't noticed such thing as sputtering on my tractor and it can get cold here, plus we get mostly winterfuel here anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Winter starting - TC40DA #7  
I'd invest in the block heater. I plug mine in when it is below 30. Even below zero it starts like summer. I just let it run a bit to warm the hydraulic fluid. One of the nicest winter presents you can give your tractor.

/ Winter starting - TC40DA #8  
I always set my throttle before i shut i down to about 1100 or 1200 RPM, this way is where i want it on start up. in cold weather about 10 to 15 sec. on glow plugs and she fires right up.

/ Winter starting - TC40DA #9  
Jim, I think my cold and warm low idle is about 950 rpms. I thought NH specs it at something like 1000. I seem to recall trying to set mine even lower and found it to hunt/waiver. Apparently you don't have the same problem.

/ Winter starting - TC40DA #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Jim, I think my cold and warm low idle is about 950 rpms. I thought NH specs it at something like 1000. I seem to recall trying to set mine even lower and found it to hunt/waiver. Apparently you don't have the same problem. )</font>

You are right; I got it mixed up with my Cummins diesel in my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif It idles at 750 rpm and my tractor idles at 900-1000 rpm. When it's cold and drops down to 750, that's when I bump the throttle up enough to get it into the 1000 rpm range. I still believe in keeping the rpm below 1000 when it's cold.