Chains TC40D, Question Tire Chains w/R4 Tires

/ TC40D, Question Tire Chains w/R4 Tires #1  

JJones

Tractor
TC40D w/SS
Just traded up to a TC40D with SS, 17LA Loader, R4 tires.

Can anyone help with the following?

1. Normally used tire chains on old tractor. Live in very icy area or Michigan. My TC40D with R4 tires don't leave much room for tire chains. I'm afraid the chains will hit the fenders. I found with last tractor if I didn't have chains (even w/4wd) the tires didn't have any traction on ice.

2. The TC40D does not have a radiator screen. I needed to be cleaned this screen a lot on my last JD tractor after bush hogging. I think I need one on this tractor.

Has any body got experience with either of these issues?

Thanks.

BTW, just got about 3 hours on tractor. I luv it. Still descovering what I bought.

Thanks
Jim in Michigan

/ TC40D, Question Tire Chains w/R4 Tires #2  
The R-4 tires on my JD4300 were very close to the fenders as well, and not enough room for regular tire chains that come quite far down the sides of the tires (toward the rims). I gained about 1.5 inches by turning the tires around, but still not enough room for chains to run clear of the fenders. So I made my own (cost was about $250 for chain and side hooks) , and went with longer side chains and shorter cross chains, to keep the side chains in the 'dip' near the treads. They worked great (I had some trepidations that they would stay on) for two winters 'up north'. We had lots of ice last year and used the chains a lot.
The chains worked real well in the woods pulling out firewood logs too (after the snow melted down a bit).

/ TC40D, Question Tire Chains w/R4 Tires #3  
Hi Jim, I can't help you with #1. In TX we don't have much snow (normally I can recognize it it I see it../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif). I can help you with #2, however. Since you have the "D" model tractor, you already have a radiator "screen." The hood has a seal when lowered and air cannot get into the engine compartment through the fan and radiator without going through the "screens" built into the hood and another under the battery box. Although the holes are slightly larger than a window screen on your house, your screens are quite effective at keeping out particles which would clog your radiator. I have had the screens covered with "trash" on my TC45D and I just stop, idle down, and wipe the clutter off and keep going. Now dust is something totally different. The radiator does get dusty and you can just hose it off every once in awhile and it will stay very clean. I've seen several designs on other tractors, but I like the screen design on our tractors. As you can attest, it is designed so well you hardly know it's there./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

JimI

/ TC40D, Question Tire Chains w/R4 Tires #4  
I guess I would go with a set of cable chains. not really chains but go on the same way without clearance issue and no slapping like chains

/ TC40D, Question Tire Chains w/R4 Tires #5  
Just curious what you had that you traded up from. I just Went from a TC29 to a TC40D, what a difference! I love the larger size and features of the deluxe. I have also put some thought into tire chains for the southern Michigan winters. Will be interested to see how you do. A site to check is www.tirechains.com for your chains.

/ TC40D, Question Tire Chains w/R4 Tires
My tire chain clearance issue is at the top of the tires and side of tires to the fenders. I have about 2.25" clearance on top of tire to fender. I have about 2.0 inches on the sides. Your solution may help my side clearance. Thanks for the reply. Still not sure about the top clearance.

Wow! That's neat. Thanks for the insight. The owners manual really didn't explain this so my little brain could understand.
The manual just said a screen is not needed because it is a flow through system. Thanks again.

What are cable chains? Can you tell me where to get them? Thanks for reply.

I had a John Deere 1050 T/L/B. 33HP It was real nice but no comparison to this TC40.

/ TC40D, Question Tire Chains w/R4 Tires #10  
Try it this winter without chains, YOU will NOT need chains if you have your rear tires "loaded". You will be able to push 2 feet of snow on an icy base. Set your rear tire pressure at about 14psi and your front at 24psi. The screen on the front of the hood keeps all bugs, seeds and chaff out of your radiator. Have funn
Frank