TC48DA Report

/ TC48DA Report #1  

IH3444

Veteran Member
Well, I've gotten about 15 hours on the TC48 and absolutely love the tractor. It is very user friendly, and the only thing that would have made it better would have been the EHSS shifter. I have "found" the front wheel steering problem, and to be truthful, no I bought this machine and will say how great it is no matter what. The steering "problem" is just not a big deal. I purposely heaped the bucket with damp, if that matters any?, #57 stone and spread it out. No ballast in the box, and only loaded tires. The steering would not move at a stand still, and I could hear the relief valve opening, and dumping the pressure. As soon as I moved even a 1/2 inch the steering was there. I just don't think this is a problem with myself. I have trained myself to always if allowable to onlt turn the wheels on any steerable machinery when moving due to the high stress rise on components while standing still. The may have been purposely engineered by the tractor designers to ensure that the stress on the front axle is kept at a minimum. This is not a piece of construction equipment, just a large compact, or as NH advertises it, a utility tractor. All in all I'm very pleased with my purchase, and the more time I spend with the TC48, the more I realize I made a good choice. On another note, the radiator has an extremely small seep at the filler neck. I see that just a re sweat jobbie would fix it, but Antitam Tractor inspected it, and decided to install a new radiator. Just a point about going with a very good dealer. They had a technician come out and look at it, and his recommendation was to replace the radiator with a new unit. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can't recommend this Antitam dealer enough. Every dealing with them so far has been great. I'm planning on attending their open house in March just to see what may be on sale that would fit my TC48. Very happy with my purchase. Happy Thanksgiving to all. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif IH3444

/ TC48DA Report #2  
Congratulations on your purchase!

Good to hear that you are liking your new TC48DA as much as I like my TC55DA. I built my new house with mine, spreading over 250 tons of gravel and other jobs.

Enjoy!

Max /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ TC48DA Report #3  
IH3444,

Glad to see you and the tract are getting to know each other. Your posting is the first I've seen of a TC48DA owner noticing the unresponsive steeering issue. I've only seen postings from us TC55DA guys. I'm not relieved to hear about it, but I had always been wondering if the 48s weren't having the problem because the steering pump has a slightly different GPMs. I can see it makes no difference.

/ TC48DA Report
Osconda, thanks for the response. I am more inclined to think that the tractor was engineered to keep stress when steering to a minimum on the front axle. I read a post by someone else about the trade off between having a large bucket with large capacity, and a possible steering problem, or a smaller bucket and no problem steering. I still have to load my ballast box, and report back if there is any change. The relief pressure, and steering cylinder size is what would dictate the steering under load. My IH3444 steering cylinder is about twice as large, as the one on the TC48.

/ TC48DA Report #5  
I've got about 70 hrs on my TC55DA already. Used it hard and furious the last couple of weeks. The steering issue is definately there but causes me no problems that worry me at all. I asked the dealer and none of them have heard of it. It may be something quite intended. It doesn't bother me as of yet, not even enough to mention it anymore. Just move an inch and it comes undone.

I would advise anyone with the bumper guard to be aware. Mine came unlatched and folded into the tractor busting the hood, headlight and bending the grille.....uuuuuuggggggg!!! Poor design....just a simple welded stop to keep it from folding the wrong way if the latch fails would have prevented this. The dealer agrees and is going to try to get it warrantied. Who knows? I absolutely love the tractor and have worked it hard lately. Attached is a stump that I remove with it and the grapple.

Attachments

• 779943-DSC02554.JPG
    779943-DSC02554.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 219
   / TC48DA Report
Update on the radiator replacement under warrenty. The Antitam Technician came to my place early Saturday morning, 7am, and within about an hour had replaced the radiator with a brand new unit out of the shipping crate I helped him open. The New Holland in this was an extremely easy tractor to work on. Just drain fluid, un hook the hoses, unbolt unit, and lift straight up and out. The New Holland Technician stated that this was an easy tractor to work on due to the high lifting hood, with no side panels. My neighbor with the TC35 saw, and stated that with side panels, there is the framing to work around. The NH Tech also said that some of the tractor were very time consuming to replace a radiator, due to the fact that much more of the tractor has to be disassembled to just get to the radiator. All in all, a simple task. Mind you that he arrived on time, in 22 degree F weather, and went right to work and replaced it. He also used brand new antifreeze to refill, and took the old antifreeze with him. This Antitam dealer has been absolutely fantastic. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif