Tires liquid filled tires

/ liquid filled tires #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi,

My Ford/ NH 1920 has liquid filled rear tires. I was curious how to check the tire pressure and what it should be in relation to what it says on the sidewall of the tire. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian

/ liquid filled tires #2  
Ian, check the pressure with the valve stem at the top (12 o'clock position). I usually give mine a short burst of air first just to clear the valve stem, but I also have an air/liquid pressure gauge. And I don't know about your tires, but most I've seen have something in the neighborhood of 30 psi on the sidewall for seating the bead when the tire is mounted. Everyone I know runs them with much less (12 psi in my case). There have been lots of messages posted about driving it through a wet spot on pavement to see if you have a complete "footprint"; i.e., low enough pressure that the tread hits the ground all the way across instead of just in the middle.

Bird

/ liquid filled tires #4  
Sorry, Ben, but with my old memory, I can't remember what I paid (or whether I paid him anything for it/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif). I got it from my brother's Matco Tool truck. And I don't have my catalog anymore, but I do remember that I was surprised that it really wasn't any more expensive than ordinary gauges.

Bird

/ liquid filled tires #5  
Ben - I just picked up an air/liquid pressure guage at my dealer for less than $10. Looks just like a regular one, and comes with directions on how to rinse it out after use (so the calcium chloride doesn't eat it up).

/ liquid filled tires #7  
After viewing this post, i decided to check the pressure in my rear filled tires.I parked on a level surface,with the valve stem at the top position.When i put the gauge on the stem some fluid came so i took the gauge off and used a small nail to press the little plunger to clear out any fluid that was still in the stem.Problem is the fluid doesn't stop coming out!! Now i dont know if i should drain some more out or leave it that way.If i do drain some out,how do i know when to stop so it's at the proper level?The other tire appears fine but how would i check so see how full(of fluid)that tire is? Any thoughts? Mike

/ liquid filled tires #8  
Mike, properly filled tires, about 75% liquid, means filling them with liquid until it comes back out the valve stem with the valve stem at the 12 o'clock position. Now yours may or may not be overfilled because when you're filling the tires with them in that position, you also have the tractor jacked up to take the weight off that wheel. So now, you're letting air and/or liquid out with the wheel in the proper position, but with the weight of the tractor putting pressure on the bottom of the tire, that's going to force liquid out at the top. Does that make sense?

Bird

/ liquid filled tires #9  
I filled the tires on my John Deere 790 last thursday with methanol and water and had the same problem when trying to check the pressure, I knew that the liquid level was higher than the valve stem, so I parked the tractor sideways on a hill with the tire to be checked on the upside and the valve at 12 o'clock. Must have gotten the valve clear because I did not get any fluid with the air pressure check. Give this a try, may not work if your tire is filled more than valve level.

/ liquid filled tires #10  
Bird, i think i follow you.If i jack the rearend up level and then press and hold the plunger so no fluid comes out, that should mean there is ~75% liquid in the tire.Do i then check the air pressure with the tractor still jacked up or let it down?Any harm in just leaving it on the ground and letting out the fluid in that position then checking the pressure?I guess it would mean they would be filled alittle less.The tire doesnt appear to be flattened all that much now.All i wanted to do was just check the pressure in the tires and possibally lower it to give me better traction.Looks like its turning into another project/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Mike