Engine Heater for TC33

/ Engine Heater for TC33 #1  

tkcomer

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3039R
Hey all. Looking for an engine heater. I’ve seen the posts on a freeze plug block heater, but the freeze plug on my DX-33 looks to be a pain to get to. So, I got to thinking about a radiator hose heater like on my older tractors. Has anyone installed one of these on their 33 or 29 tractors? I’m asking because I want to know what size to order BEFORE I take the hose off. I’m afraid if I take the hose off to measure the inside diameter, what ever I try to order will be out of stock. Thanks for any replies.

/ Engine Heater for TC33 #2  
Since the hoses only come in a few sizes - I would measue the outer diameter then go to a auto parts store and compare it to the hoses that they have. Once you find something close - you will have the inner diameter. Another place to look ight be an internet site of a hose manufacturer. These sites might give the inner and outer hose diameters.

Also - if you chose to remove - remove the upper hose - the amount of coolant volume lost will be roughly equal to the volume of the hose.

/ Engine Heater for TC33
Best I can tell is the hose is about 1 ¾”. I was thinking the heater went into the lower radiator hose for better heating capabilities.

/ Engine Heater for TC33 #4  
I just installed a freez plug heater no big thing. took about 1hour. works great. the problem with the circ kind is you will want it low to the engine block. I could not find any place that would work well and not expose it to damage down the road. found the freez plug just installs alot cleaner. we have had below 0' weather for about 2wks and our tc33da stared every time.Good luck. did the install with fel in place. drained the block. punch freez plug into block. fish it out . install freez plug at the 7:00 OCLOCK Pos tighten up. refill block and plug cord in. Done. got my freez plug at dealer for around 45.00. good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Engine Heater for TC33
I must be looking at it wrong. It looked like the starter and some wiring had to be moved. There doesn’t seem to be that much room behind the starter to get the plug out, much less to install a heater.

/ Engine Heater for TC33 #6  
No need to move anything.

784397-P1000172.JPG

/ Engine Heater for TC33 #7  
Remember that this picture above is of a tc55da.

Max

/ Engine Heater for TC33 #8  
Good point - the upper hose might not even be full (I've never installed one on a coolant line). I would think, however, that the the two hoses (upper and lower) would be the same size. If they are then there is no sense in dumping all your fluid if you don't need to.

/ Engine Heater for TC33 #9  
<font color="blue"> Remember that this picture above is of a tc55da. </font>
I have a class II, with a block heater. It's in the same location. There's nothing in the way of installing the block heater.

/ Engine Heater for TC33
On mine, the starter is definitely in the way. Just look at the attachment. The back plug doesn’t even look like it has room for a heater.

Attachments

• 787215-Resize.JPG
    787215-Resize.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 281