TC40D - 4 Wheel Drive not working.

/ TC40D - 4 Wheel Drive not working. #1  

BOOMERANG

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
We just had a recent snowfall and I could not get my tractor up the hill from the barn. I noticed that the 4WD is no longer working.

There were no catastrophic bangs, pops or screeches. It just seemed to quietly stop working. I checked all the obvious external things like linkages, etc. but can't see anything wrong.

I thought I would run it by all the true experts on the forum before hauling it down to the dealer.

Any ideas????

/ TC40D - 4 Wheel Drive not working. #2  
There is a silver metal "C-shaped" handle to the left rear of the seat. This is the 4WD lockout. If the handle is down, the tractor is in forced 2WD (i.e., the 4wd is locked-out). If the lever is up, it will allow 4wd to be engaged (either by the lever, or by the Autosense 4WD with Supersteer NHs.

/ TC40D - 4 Wheel Drive not working.
Thanks Doc! I will go out and take a look at that right now!

I just went out and looked at my tractor and it does not have the lock out handle you described. I checked the owners manual and that option is only on the Supersteer models. Any other thoughts on what I can check?

/ TC40D - 4 Wheel Drive not working. #5  
Check and see if front drive shaft is turning; this will tell you if problem lies in front axle or transfer case. Make sure linkage is working properly and engaging the front axle. If front drive shaft is turnning you then know all linkage is working and problem lies in front axle. Probably gear problems.

/ TC40D - 4 Wheel Drive not working. #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( that option is only on the Supersteer models )</font>

OOPS - sorry /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ TC40D - 4 Wheel Drive not working. #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I noticed that the 4WD is no longer working.)</font>

Can you give us a little more info? Are you saying the rear wheels spin and neither of the front wheels turns? You do know that MFWD is really going to positively drive only one front wheel don't you? Do you have a loader on the tractor so you an raise the front axle off the ground? If so, that will make engagement/disengagement of MFWD operation a lot easier.

When you engage the handle, do you feel postive engagement? You said you had checked the linkage. Is it bent? The handle should move to both ends of the slot. When you engage MFWD, there is essentially a splined collar that moves to engage the drive shaft going up to the front axle.

I am very surprised that you did not hear something if there is a problem. Since you did not, there is probably something loose that is keepiing MFWD from engaging at the transmission. I just can't imagine anything wrong in the front axle/differential that you would not hear. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

EDIT: Actually the gear is not a splined collar, but a sliding gear that engages MFWD. However, there is a splined collar on each end of the driveshaft. They are held in position with a rollpin. If the rollpin has broken, you could have one of the splined collars move until the shaft no longer turns. To inspect this, you have to take the cover off each end of the driveshaft cover. That may be something you leave to the dealer if you don't feel comfortable doing it.

/ TC40D - 4 Wheel Drive not working. #8  
Jack it up and put some blocks under it. Then turn the wheels and see what happens. Also check the lever that engages the front drive. Is it fastened properly?
When out of 4 wheel drive and traction lock off the back tires should rotate in different directions when one is turned. The same applies to the front.

Note: On my Kubota the front drive shaft turns all the time. In 4 wheel drive or out of 4 wheel drive.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ TC40D - 4 Wheel Drive not working. #9  
If you engage 4wd and raise one front wheel you should not be able to rotate the wheel; if you can it is not engaged in the transfer case.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Based on what I've read, I suspect the problem is in the transfer case. With the front wheels engaged and off the ground, the wheels and front drive shaft spin freely. I still need to pull the shaft cover off an take a closer look but I'm afraid there is a problem inside the case. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif