Rear Wheel off set

/ Rear Wheel off set #1  

Deaf

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford New Holland
I was wondering if it would hurt my 1215 tactor by reversing the rear wheel to increase the wheel spacing. I just got some rear tire chains and they hit the rear lower links on the TPH. When I reversed the wheels I gain ~ 2" more space on each side allowing the tire chains to clear the lower links. I know from other web sites for cars and trucks this will increase the stress on the rear bearings. I can deal with the tire stem being on the inside of the wheel.

Any input would be helpful

Thanks

Deaf

/ Rear Wheel off set #2  
I think I'd do exactly what you are describing and not worry about it. Tractor wheel widths have been adjusted on tractors for as long as tractors have been around. Even on your small compact, it should not overstess the axle at all. You will have to swap sides with the wheels to keep the cleats in the right direction unless you are running turfs where it probably won't matter.

/ Rear Wheel off set #3  
The dealer done that to my tractor and there is no harm in doing so. You have more stability this way as well.

Max

/ Rear Wheel off set #4  
I had the dealer do this switch to my tractor back in 2002 when I got my TC40. I did this due to the number of hills on my property and such. I have never had any problem with the axles after doing this. This is after all kinds of use including heavy loader use, and ground engagement. I'd do it if you are concerned and want extra stability.