New Holland Seat Suspension Explosion

/ New Holland Seat Suspension Explosion #1  

Boomerboy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
Late in the Fall of 2005, while joyfully riding along on my TC29D, I suddenly dropped with a sharp "thud" down about an inch and bottomed out the seat suspension. After 5 years of a soft cushion ride, I suddenly was introduced to the rough terain my TC had been experiencing. The seat was full down with no "spring Return" up as usual.

Upon inspection, I found that the spring equalizer bar that pulls tension on the two seat suspension springs was broken. One of the "wings" that held one of the springs had broken off. The equalizer is made from a "plastic like" material (probably a polymer something or other).

After a number of inquiries, I did finally find that a rebuild kit was available for the seat suspension assembly (~$78.00), but no information was available that the equalizer bar was included in this kit. Specific inquiries for this piece resulted basically in "buy the rebuild kit" to find out.

Not wanting to have to disassemble the seat suspension assembly again in the future due to a broken plastic part, I fabricated a new equalizer bar from four (4) pieces of 1/4" x 2" steel bar. It turned out well

Anyone else had this problem?

Attachments

• 810244-Seat Suspension Bar 1.jpg
    810244-Seat Suspension Bar 1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 568
   / New Holland Seat Suspension Explosion
Sorry . . .I didn't think my composite picture would look so small and difficult to see. Here is a single view of the broken seat suspension equalizer bar .

Attachments

• 810250-New Holland Suspension Seat Equalizer 2.jpg
    810250-New Holland Suspension Seat Equalizer 2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 579
The fabricated replacement

Attachments

• 810251-New Holland Suspension Seat Equalizer 4.jpg
    810251-New Holland Suspension Seat Equalizer 4.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 494
And finally, the new fabricated bar assembled with the tension adjust handle. This knob extends out from under the front of the seat.

Attachments

• 810255-New Holland Suspension Seat Equalizer 3.jpg
    810255-New Holland Suspension Seat Equalizer 3.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 448
   / New Holland Seat Suspension Explosion #5  
I've not had the pleasure yet of feeling the rough terrain through my posterior but it could happen. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Why not post a few pictures of your piece being machined if you have them. I'm sure there are more than a few guys including myself that would file the info away for later use.

Nice way to save some money too!

NE Ohio? How far are you from the Clinton area?

/ New Holland Seat Suspension Explosion #6  
Nice job fixing it!

I too had my teethshaken loose when the seat dropped, only my threaded rod broke at the knob. That rod is way to thin after they drilled a hole through it. I ended up pulling the rod back throught he front bracket and using a couple of nuts to hold it. The entire suspention runs around $500 +.

Tazz

Attachments

• 810334-Threaded rod.JPG
    810334-Threaded rod.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 306
   / New Holland Seat Suspension Explosion #7  
Wow! Nice job. I'm sure it's much better than the original. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mike,

I don't have any Pics of the fabrication of the bar. I cut four (4) pieces of 2" bar 1.5" long. I clamped two (2) pieces together and drilled a 13/16" hole through the center of the two bars. The other two (2) bars were cut at an angle, 1/2" up the 1.5" side across to the opposite corner, and I used a bench grinder to grind the spring depressions into the 2" sides. I clamped four (4) pieces together in the configuration shown and welded it together along the four (4) sides. Primer and paint finished the assembly.

By the way, Clinton, Ohio is about 25 miles north east of me. Port Clinton, Ohio is on Lake Erie about 70 miles away.

Tazz,

Thanks for the great tip! Since everything was already in pieces, I placed a nut on the shaft prior to installation of the unit as a preventative measure to keep the suspension system working in case of a future break of the shaft. I can still adjust the spring tension by turning the knob, but feel a lot better about adding the nut, as I agree that there is not much left of the shaft after drilling for the spring pin.

Thanks for the timely advice!

/ New Holland Seat Suspension Explosion #10  
I think your description is better than pictures.

<font color="blue"> By the way, Clinton, Ohio is about 25 miles north east of me. Port Clinton, Ohio is on Lake Erie about 70 miles away.
</font>

I know where you're at as we used to ice fish up there for Walleye on a regular basis. I'm sure you have heard of a guide by the name of Pat Chrysler. He owned lots of ice shanties.