16LA FEL real life lifting capability

/ 16LA FEL real life lifting capability #1  

gmason

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC35D4
I was just curious what other TC35 owners are seeing with the lifting capabilities of the FEL. I tried to get a full bucket of soil(moist) up to the full height to dump over a fence and the FEL stopped lifting about 18" from the max height. Engine rpm was max'ed and no hydro presure being applied. I find it a little hard to believe that I had 1800lbs of soil in the bucket.
Just wondering if anyone else had seen this on their FEL.

thanks
g

/ 16LA FEL real life lifting capability #2  
Are you, by any chance, a little low on hydraulic fluid? Just a thought.

Bird

/ 16LA FEL real life lifting capability
Bird, I don't think so, but I'm due for my 50hr stop at the dealer. And I was looking for things to ask him to check while it was there, and if it wasn't lifting up to specs then I was going to ask him to check it out.
g

/ 16LA FEL real life lifting capability #4  
Gary,
I believe the required lift has to be maximum when the lift arms are just about level with the hood (just after the load leaves the ground). At the higher levels I think the weight should be carried more by the FEL mount as the center of gravity shifts aft. I would expect the lift to go all the way to the top with ease if it gets above the hood. Now I haven't done the math or geometry, but that is my opinion and Bird's question about fluid level makes sense to me. The only other option I can think of is that the seal inside your rams might be leaking as you approach maximum height and allowing the fluid to "bypass" to the return side. I had this happen on an older tractor and I was completely baffled until a hydraulic repairman told me how this could occur and then rebuilt my hydraulic cylinders for me and fixed my problem. I know you have a new machine, but it still could be happening. Good luck.

JimI

/ 16LA FEL real life lifting capability #5  
Jim, thats been my experience too. I suppose its all a matter of physics and with loaders it would seem that the leverage ratio changes throughtout its course of being elevated. That ratio would seem to get more favorable as the center of gravity came back towards the driver but I'm not sure. I find that if the loader can break the bond in the pile of material (especially dirt) as you push in to load the bucket, then it can easily lift the bucket load since that bond is gone. Rat...

/ 16LA FEL real life lifting capability #6  
Gary,

Is the spec 1800 lbs at the pivot pin or at the bucket leading edge for full height? Maybe that explains the difference? Sometimes I've thought my loader was a little weak too, so much so that I had the dealer perform a hydraulic pressure test on the system. They tell me that everything was up to spec. I've often wondered why the TC35 loader relief is set 10% less than the TC40 and 45 (2250psi vs. 2500psi). The weight difference of the machines is not that substantial. Tractor certainly seems to have enough power...

I've satisfied myself that somethings just might be heavier than they appear.

Peter

/ 16LA FEL real life lifting capability
Thanks Peter, I'm taking it in this week to get the 50hr check and some other warrenty work done..I'll see if they check the lift pressure too.
I just wonder if there's an easy way to fill the bucket with a pre-determined weight(common material found around the house) like rock, dirt, sand, water, bricks, wife's car(just kidding!!)

gary

/ 16LA FEL real life lifting capability #8  
Gary, it has been my experience that nothing I have been able to load in the bucket was ever nearly heavy enough not to lift. I could fill the rather large bucket on my L4850, heaped which is about 21 cu. ft. with anything from rocks, to wet sand and have always been able to lift it to full height. I can tell when I have a large load as the rear end just feels light. The only time I can't lift a load of material in the bucket is when I plow into a pile of material with the forward power on and lift. The weight of the material plus the friction of the bucket against the pile is enough to overcome the lift capacity of the loader. Of course there are times I have hooked a chain onto posts etc. and been unable to lift as well. Rat...