Snow Snow Plow And Weight Questions

/ Snow Plow And Weight Questions #1  

Bob_Bullock

I have a TC33D with an 7308 FEL. I was looking into a front plow attachment. Is the Curtis attachment the only snow plow option for my FEL?

Also, since I have had my FEL (1 year), I have come to realize I need to weight the rear tires. What are the alternatives and the prices and pros/cons of each?

Thanks
Bob

/ Snow Plow And Weight Questions #2  
One TBN'er had a Diamond installed on his tractor. Here is a link to the thread Click Here There are other suggestions in the thread.
I use a Weight box on my tractor for my Curtis 6 1/2' blade. I use my tractor to mow lawn. This allows me to be light weight when mowing.

/ Snow Plow And Weight Questions #3  
Bob,

Several other TBNers have made their own attachment to mount truck mounted plows. Do a search under Customization. I use a rear blade along with the loader bucket for snow removal on two ¼ mile drives.

For weight I have loaded the rears with 50 gal calcium chloride (approx 550# I believe) and use a medium weight Woods rear blade for snow. For earth work I use a medium duty (500# +) Woods box blade. This combination makes the tractor very stable.

I loaded the rears since I have some rather steep areas I need to mow and need the weight down low. Doing loader work with the rear blade (approx. 220#) was not stable on uneven or sloping ground. The box blade helped significantly but is hard to mow with it on.

...Derek

/ Snow Plow And Weight Questions
Has anyone used RIM Guard? Price or weight? Also, how much weight can you put on the back wheels through New Holland's OEM wheel weight system? Is it better to load the wheels inside?

Thanks

/ Snow Plow And Weight Questions #5  
Bob your NH operators manual will tell you the recommended weight that you can safely add to the rear tires. We opted for the NH wheel weights and the 3 point weight bar to add additional weight.

Today I mow around my house in 4WD since I have a steep hill and the rears will slip. That causes my problem with the front tires ripping up the lawn some of the time. If I put the rear weight on, will it allow me to mow in 2WD? And if it does, will it cause the rear tires to dig up the lawn?

By the way, if I put the weights on the wheels, I am going with the black like yours. It is a nice look on the tractor.

Thanks
Bob

I have sent Meyers/Diamond and Horst request for information on their plows for the 7398 FEL I have.

If I decided to find a used truck plow and have someone fabricate a mounting system, watch should I look for in the plow? Certain size, etc?

Can I use the front blade that New Holland sells even though I have my FEL hardware on? What are the advantages if any for using the NH blade over one on the FEL itself.

Thanks
Bob

/ Snow Plow And Weight Questions #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Today I mow around my house in 4WD since I have a steep hill and the rears will slip. That causes my problem with the front tires ripping up the lawn some of the time. If I put the rear weight on, will it allow me to mow in 2WD? And if it does, will it cause the rear tires to dig up the lawn?

By the way, if I put the weights on the wheels, I am going with the black like yours. It is a nice look on the tractor.

Thanks
Bob

)</font>
Bob if your rig is locked in 4WD all the time it will rip up the turf. Our 40D is equipped with SensiTrak and that feature applies 4WD automatically whenever needed so it does minimal damage. The wheel weights will help you but I can't guarantee to what extent.

As far as the wheel weights go we finally painted ours white some time ago. They used to stick out (color wise) like a sore thumb. White makes them look like they are a part of the NH rim.

/ Snow Plow And Weight Questions #9  
I can verify that putting enough weight on the rears will stop slippage and allow you to mow in 2WD.

Don't put too much on though or you'll be leaving ruts instead of ripping up the turf.

As always, balance is everything.

/ Snow Plow And Weight Questions #10  
There are many brand plows and other ways to adapt a plow for the FEL,, I have a Diamond brand and it performs flawless. I have a 1600 ft driveway, all up hill. I keep my backhoe on for rear weight. However, if I didn't have that backhoe, I would get a PTO spreader from one of the sponsors here (CCI), with a 3 pt spreader you fill it with sand and salt mix. You have your rear weight and the means to sand and salt (if needed) all at the same time.,..