Oil & Fuel fuel problems or dirty fuel.

/ fuel problems or dirty fuel. #1  

dqdave1

Veteran Member
Tractor
tc- 29d
A question in another thread started this thread. How many readers have noticed fuel filters being dirtier than usual. I stated that dirty fuel has been noted many times but is it a widespread problem ? I was one that received some "bad" fuel. A few years back; when I would change my fuel filter I wondered if it really needed changed; now one look at it and I am glad I changed it.
Let this thread determine how widespread it is.

/ fuel problems or dirty fuel. #2  
I change my filter about once a year, which is about 400 hours give or take. It still looks pretty good. You can tell that it is a used filter, but still usable.

/ fuel problems or dirty fuel. #3  
I have 1050 hours on my tractor and have changed the fuel filter one time at 600 hours. So far, no problems whatsoever.

/ fuel problems or dirty fuel. #4  
I never changed mine and I got 122 hours on it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ fuel problems or dirty fuel. #5  
My 7610s has about 900 hrs on it now, and it is on its 3rd filter.. 2nd filter was just done because it was in for factory service when I bought it.. then i got a load of bad fuel about 100 hrs after that and the filter on the fuel tap plugged up, and the water traps loaded.. i change dthe tap, and draine dthe traps, and threw on a new filter 'just because'..

Soundguy

/ fuel problems or dirty fuel. #6  
I believe on the 7000 series Fords the book says oil every 100/150 hours depending on quality, fuel pump oil every 300 hours, and fuel filter every 900 hours.

More ofen if it needs it.

My 1720 needed it too when I got the wrong fuel conditioner in the tank - Do'h!

--->Paul

/ fuel problems or dirty fuel. #7  
Too many variants on the 'series' to go by the book on maintenance.. for instance.. back in the 70's, the inline pumps use don the 5000 and 7000 that were oil lubed were changed over to a distribuitor or rotary type pump.. they were fuel lubed.. thus my 5000 and 7610s -can't- have thier injector oil changed..

Soundguy

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( believe on the 7000 series Fords the book says oil every 100/150 hours depending on quality, fuel pump oil every 300 hours, and fuel filter every 900 hours )</font>

/ fuel problems or dirty fuel.
Does everyone filter their fuel when filling?

/ fuel problems or dirty fuel. #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does everyone filter their fuel when filling? )</font>

Never...

/ fuel problems or dirty fuel. #10  
I never filter mine. I either pump it out of a 5 gallon can with my Han-D-Pump from TSC or using a rotary pump from the traviling joke show Cummins from a 15 gallon barrel. I'm approaching 500 hours on my little TC24. I usually change the fuel filter around 100 hours. It is cheaper only something like $3 or $4 - just a PITA to change as it is right behind the loader upright that doesn't come off.