TC18 Repair Manual on CD review

/ TC18 Repair Manual on CD review #1  

guyw

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC18
Just got my TC18 repair manual on CD from CNH Tech Pubs. They shipped it FedEx ground and I got it just under a week from when I ordered it. I am running WindowsXP Home with Adobe Acrobat 7 for a pdf viewer. The CD is basically a pdf version of the manual. The first time I put the CD in the drive, I got a message to the effect that I needed to use the original CD. So, I used Windows Explorer to see what was on the CD. I tried running the autorun.exe file, with similar results. I then tried running the file called AutoRunHL.exe which prompted me for a password. The password is on a sticker on the CD case. Once I was past this, the manual came up. The CD uses its own version of Adobe Acrobat, which is version 5.1.0. It doesn't look like it tries to install the viewer, which is good since as I said I already use version 7. I won't review the manual itself as I assume this is just a pdf version of the paper manual. Looks very complete though, with lots of diagrams and explanations. After the initial problem getting the CD to start automatically, every time since when I put the CD in the drive, I now get a prompt for the password and then everything comes right up. It looks like the password is case sensitive though. Overall, I am pleased with the results. My major complaint is there is no supporting documentation at all and no installation directions.

Guy.

/ TC18 Repair Manual on CD review #2  
How much? I know the paper versions are big bucks (I got mine on ebay for ~$30).

Did you pass your observations back to New Holland so that they can improve the product? I'm always dissapointed when companies slap together a product & ship it out the door w/o first benchmarking it (vs. best practices) & beta testing...

/ TC18 Repair Manual on CD review
The CD cost $75. Paper manuals are $280. If you are thinking of getting the CD, check out the recent thread Repair Manuals on CD for TC18 part numbers.

I haven't given New Holland any feedback yet, but it is a good idea.

/ TC18 Repair Manual on CD review #4  
Thanks - $75 is reasonable. I bought the "official" repair manual for my Honda Pilot for $75 and it's a heck of a lot more complicated than a CUT.

$280 is near criminal - even accounting for the low quantities of tractors vs. autos...

/ TC18 Repair Manual on CD review #5  
$75 is great. The repair manual on CD for a TC24DA is $230.

/ TC18 Repair Manual on CD review #6  
TN75D Repair Manual $453.08 Parts Manual $269.66

That's the reason I don't have them. I have the Service manual for my 2120 and find it very hard to use without ther parts blow up diagrams.

Andy