Draining trans on 1920 questions...

/ Draining trans on 1920 questions... #11  
Hooked on HP is correct - there are two drain plugs for the tranny/hydo fluid on the 1900/1910/1920. Miss the one behind and you leave a lot of old fluid behind. The first place to look for when water is getting into the trans fluid is the rubber boots around the shifters. If they are not doing their job - you have a direct opening for water and dirt into the trans case.

/ Draining trans on 1920 questions... #12  
Z thanks for the info on the shifter boots. I thought I was just getting a lot of condensation. Leaky boot makes more sense. My 1900 sits out side, race car takes up the garage.

/ Draining trans on 1920 questions... #13  
I beleive the TC29D replaced the 1910 and the TC33D replaced the 1920. I have the 29 and it has two drain plugs underneath.

murph

/ Draining trans on 1920 questions... #14  
Maybe a previous owner never noticed one of the plugs and always left some fluid behind, along with some water??
Jim

/ Draining trans on 1920 questions... #15  
Hi Murph, the 20 series replaced the 10 series tractors and then when the TC's were brought out they added a lot more models to the lineup that replaced the 20 series and then some.

/ Draining trans on 1920 questions... #16  
I have my owner's manual in front of me. My 1920 is an '88 Ford 4WD with the 12x12 trans. If you have 4WD and are going for a total transmission, rear axle and hydraulic system fluid change, there are actually 3 drain points:

1. transmission drain plug
2. rear end drain plug ( near draw bar)
3. four wheel drive drain plug (where drive shaft leaves trans and goes to front axle. Basically draining a transfer case.)

If you have 4WD and want to drain all hydraulic fluid, don't forget power steering, front axle differential and the final reduction gear cases on the front axle.

Hope this helps.

Bob

/ Draining trans on 1920 questions...
Bob, thanks, I do want to change it all. Tomorrow should be a good day to git r done.....supposed to rain all day. Thanks again.

Bill

/ Draining trans on 1920 questions...
Thanks all for the help. Things went swimmingly. Nice and clean now.

/ Draining trans on 1920 questions... #19  
Hi. That痴 so many. Is hydraulic fluid used for Everything but engine oil? Meaning other than the oil drain - drain EVERY plug?

I have my owner's manual in front of me. My 1920 is an '88 Ford 4WD with the 12x12 trans. If you have 4WD and are going for a total transmission, rear axle and hydraulic system fluid change, there are actually 3 drain points:

1. transmission drain plug
2. rear end drain plug ( near draw bar)
3. four wheel drive drain plug (where drive shaft leaves trans and goes to front axle. Basically draining a transfer case.)

If you have 4WD and want to drain all hydraulic fluid, don't forget power steering, front axle differential and the final reduction gear cases on the front axle.

Hope this helps.

Bob