Draining trans on 1920 questions...

/ Draining trans on 1920 questions... #1  

casingbill

Bronze Member
I have misplaced my manual and need to drain the trans/hydraulic. Where is the drain plug? is there more than one? anything else someone might think I need to know? Thanks

Bill

/ Draining trans on 1920 questions... #2  
My manual went when i traded the 1920 in.. but as i recall, it was fairly obvious when you were under the tractor looking up. Don't forget to change that filter too... might be a tad pricy.. but it is cheape rthan the pump... That's a common sump machine.. at least the 12x4 was.. make sure you have plenty of oil on hand...

Soundguy

/ Draining trans on 1920 questions...
Thanks, I knew I could count on you. Without the manual, I didn't want to assume the obvious. I just checked it and its very grey. Must have water in it. Time for a full service. Thanks again.

/ Draining trans on 1920 questions... #4  
Yikes.. grey tranny oil is bad.. that means it is very water contaminated. If it were mine.. I'd buy a can of seafoam transtune.. add it.. run it a few minutes, then change the oil using cheap as you can find walmart supertech oil.. ( 17-18$ for 5g ).. then drain after running it around the yard for 15-20 minutes... then I'd drain it again, and change the filter. By the way.. nothing wrong with that cheap UTF. My tractors have been getting walmart and TSC utf for years.. no issues.

The extra oil change may cost you another 20-30$.. but it is cheaper than replacing the hydro pump, and tranny bearings...

Soundguy

I've never heard of that seafoam transtune. Is it supposed to clean it out or something? Not even sure where to find it.

/ Draining trans on 1920 questions... #7  
I'm not sure if your 1920 is the same as my 1900 but it uses the same trans 12x4. Mine has 1 drain plug on the trans and another hid under the draw bar if you have one. You have to drain both of them.I didn't find the second one the first time I changed the utf . Refilled the oil and ran it for awhile checked the oil and it looked like it did before i changed it. I hate to do a job twice.
Bill

good info. thanks. i am going to pickup a filter this week and change it this weekend. thanks again.

/ Draining trans on 1920 questions... #9  
Check with NAPA for filters, if they give you a trade discount it will be much cheaper than the dealers.

/ Draining trans on 1920 questions... #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Here's a link to the web page for Sea Foam TransTune.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm )</font>

Never heard of or saw the tranny Seafoam either - according to the safety sheet, same exact ingrediants, slightly diff % of the 3 ingrediants, so probably not a problem to just use one for the other. The fuel Seafoam is sold 'everywhere' around here....

--->Paul