Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #31  
Re: Cold tractor blows \"O\" ring on hydro filter

Is there a possibility that the filter was over tightened which will warp the o-ring or gasket. I have seen it happen many times on cars that had oil changes at quick lube places where the person (I won't call them a mechanic) overtightened the oil filter and warped the gasket. Within a few miles the leak started and pumped all the oil out ruining the motor.

It happened where I work as well. I am a building maintenance mechanic and for liability reasons I am not allowed to service our diesel fire pump or generator. About two years ago a company did an annual service on our fire pump and the mechanic overtightened the dual oil filters. He manually started it for a few seconds to circulate the oil and shut it down. On friday that week the automatic programmer started it up for its regular half hour run and within minutes all the oil had pumped out, blue oil smoke filled the room and set off the fire alarm system, and the pump ran as designed until it siezed all the main and rod bearings. The service company had to pay to rebuild the motor since it was determined that their mechanic had overtightened the filters. Now I run it manually each week to watch for any problems.

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #32  

Well, The instructions (Pictures) on the side of my new filter I spun on last week were hand tight plus 1.5 turns. Personally, I could not get it another 1.5 turns, mine is hand plus a bit over one, but i have the distinct impression as there was also a little paper warning in there to make sure I follow installation instructions that they want that thing tight as crap.

As too being too tight, I was always taught just hand tight, but as you look at the square edge gasket and the land that it sits in, I think it would just make itself more and more secure as you apply more pressure. Kind of like a lip seal forcing itself out under pressure.

I am not positive, but I do not believe overtightening is the problem, I would bet if I did anything wrong, it was last time I changed that filter I did not get it tight enough.

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #33  

Problem isn`t too tight its not tight enough and original filter wouldn`t stand that! My dealer has changed all filters as tractors come back for anything and new ones before they leave. We will have to pay for better filter at changes but at 300 hrs thats 20 cents per hour ! Service manager told me they have to use a filter wrench to tighten to specs. My original blew last winter , they came here ( 1/2 hour from dealer ) changed filter lying on ground at 2 below F filled fluid ,left spare gallon of hytran incase air bubbles of needed a little more later WITH NO BILL. They said it was warranty, not sure if CaseIH covered it or was dealers expense but what service ! Recently they replaced fenders and mounting brackets with stronger updated ones as they had cracked. When I went to pick it up salesman washed it , as I was hooking on my trailer which I had left there , service manager washed it ! Dropped it of at 7 , picked up at 1 pm same day with annual service done as well . No question , excellant service !!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif